Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I got trashed today in the rain. Didn't find much after about 2 hrs besides the token. The rain started coming down in sheets so I called it quits. Found another ox shoe, an early plated spoon from a mold, pewter handle, thimble, and a flat button c. 1800-1820. Here's a video of the conditions

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469985007.704607.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469985032.781860.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469985044.339119.jpg

Upvote 22

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dedicated! congrats on the token I went to the woods today man its hot.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin sure is a long way from home. Cool find and great condition. Congrats on getting slimy and digging a nice one!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That coin sure is a long way from home. Cool find and great condition. Congrats on getting slimy and digging a nice one!

J, what constituted "Upper Canada" way back then?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrappy,

Good condition on the token.....pre confederation which was 1867 upper Canada consisted of Ontario and lower Canada was Quebec.

Regards + HH

Bill

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Scrappy. Nice token. I got caught in the rain yesterday too. $6.54 in clad and four old wheats.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks J. Not 5 minutes before I said out loud "let me find just one keeper so I can go home!"

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the token Steve. I only heard sparatic rain drops in the video. I keep a cheap poncho in the van for heavy rain on hot days. I was swinging in the rain yesterday, not a down pour mind you, but it sure felt great.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks J. Not 5 minutes before I said out loud "let me find just one keeper so I can go home!"

I know that feeling haha, although right now for me it's the opposite. The ground is hard as rock and it's too hot to go outside. We need rain! I am going to try to dig something tonight after supper.

Mackaydon got the map right for what made up "upper Canada". Here is some more info:

The Bank of Upper Canada was established in 1821 in York (Toronto, Ontario) under a charter granted by the Province of Upper Canada in 1819. When Upper and Lower Canada were united in 1841 to form the Province of Canada, it was decided that only the bank that held the government accounts should have the right to issue copper tokens. This privilege was enjoyed by the Bank of Montreal until 1848. Following the passage of the Rebellion Losses Bill in 1849, rioting in Montreal led to the destruction of the legislative buildings and the capital of the province was transferred to Toronto. As a result, the right to issue tokens passed to the Bank of Upper Canada.

Between 1850 and 1857 the Bank of Upper Canada issued a series of handsome penny and halfpenny copper tokens. The obverse of a penny token issued in 1850 is shown and features a St. George and the dragon motif encircled by the legend BANK OF UPPER CANADA and the date. The St. George motif was designed by Benedetto Pistrucci for the British sovereign of 1817 and is considered to be the definitive representation of the theme.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet token Scrappy, ,
It doesn't look I will be able to get out until Tuesday.
Congrats on braving the rain and mud.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that feeling haha, although right now for me it's the opposite. The ground is hard as rock and it's too hot to go outside. We need rain! I am going to try to dig something tonight after supper.

Mackaydon got the map right for what made up "upper Canada". Here is some more info:

The Bank of Upper Canada was established in 1821 in York (Toronto, Ontario) under a charter granted by the Province of Upper Canada in 1819. When Upper and Lower Canada were united in 1841 to form the Province of Canada, it was decided that only the bank that held the government accounts should have the right to issue copper tokens. This privilege was enjoyed by the Bank of Montreal until 1848. Following the passage of the Rebellion Losses Bill in 1849, rioting in Montreal led to the destruction of the legislative buildings and the capital of the province was transferred to Toronto. As a result, the right to issue tokens passed to the Bank of Upper Canada.

Between 1850 and 1857 the Bank of Upper Canada issued a series of handsome penny and halfpenny copper tokens. The obverse of a penny token issued in 1850 is shown and features a St. George and the dragon motif encircled by the legend BANK OF UPPER CANADA and the date. The St. George motif was designed by Benedetto Pistrucci for the British sovereign of 1817 and is considered to be the definitive representation of the theme.

Very interesting read. My favorite part of this hobby is learning about what I find. Thanks for the info J!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Token!!!! In decent shape also. Cool history behind it, great recovery, congrats and HH

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Token and nice read on the research of what it represents

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find Steve. That token is in great shape.

Nice Token!!!! In decent shape also. Cool history behind it, great recovery, congrats and HH

Cool Token and nice read on the research of what it represents

NICE FINDS .

Thanks fellas! With the size and condition I initially thought it was super new. What a great learning experience from the find to the history. Man i love this hobby

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find. Cool that the guys were able to get the info on the token so quickly. That is a bucket lister that wasn't even on your list!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent token man! I'd love to find one of those bank tokens one day... and its in great condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread