1853 P Enfield, before and after shots. Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got around to cleaning this old relic, the weather was nasty and cold so it was a good indoor project. It was pretty nasty after 150 years or so! For anyone who is not familar with these weapons they were made available by a antique weapons dealer. They were discovered in a castle in Nepal. They had been stored for 140 or 150 years. I will include the video link showing how they were discovered. The dealer bought all the weapons, included were 3 Nepolianic cannons, Brown Bess's, Martini's, and Henry rifle's as well as many other weapons.I got my order in and it was here after I returned from The DIV 9. in Virginia. I was very pleased how it turned out. I will show before and after photo's. You have to check out the video, it is amazing!

Sorry I cannot get the link to open, just go to Youtube and type in Nepal weapons in the search window, several video's will poop up of the weapons and the discovery.

Attachments

• enfield cleaned ##.jpg
    enfield cleaned ##.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 279
  • enfield dirty.jpg
    enfield dirty.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 282
  • enfield dirty 2.jpg
    enfield dirty 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 265
  • enfield cleaned up #1.jpg
    enfield cleaned up #1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 262
  • enfield cleaned up #2.jpg
    enfield cleaned up #2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 267
  • enfield clean #3.jpg
    enfield clean #3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 266
  • enfield cleaned ##.jpg
    enfield cleaned ##.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 268

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you fire it Tim?Awesome piece of History....I've got a hammer and a end of the ramrod and that's enough weight for me ;D Too bad the boy's didn't have carbon barell's back then.Beautiful job on the clean-up,look's great.Couldn't access the link though :icon_scratch:

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim that is very cool....I hadnt heard of the find. That will display great....Steve

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil I really hadn't planned on shooting it, but I am sure I could. A few people have been shooting them after restoration.

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midwest hillbilly said:
great job on cleaning looks good, and just curious what that gun weight looks heavy!!!

Not sure but feels very similar in weight to my 50 caliber black powder rifle, maybe a little heavier.

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevesno said:
Tim that is very cool....I hadnt heard of the find. That will display great....Steve

Thanks Steve, I will give you a call and see how you are getting along. Take care my friend.

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
I saw that site and will order mine the end of the month did you clean the gun with ez-off like in the video?
And i wouldn't advise you to fire as is I would def replace the barrell if you did because it could be pited inside or it could have been weakened over the years. If you replace it, it would devalue.
that was quite a find of that company and they do have the bayonette I believe to it (extra)_ other parts are available thru dixie gun works

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill gent said:
I saw that site and will order mine the end of the month did you clean the gun with ez-off like in the video?
And i wouldn't advise you to fire as is I would def replace the barrell if you did because it could be pited inside or it could have been weakened over the years. If you replace it, it would devalue.
that was quite a find of that company and they do have the bayonette I believe to it (extra)_ other parts are available thru dixie gun works

Thanks Bill, I did use Easy Off but I found it worked better to let it sit about 5 minutes than spray a second coat and use a soft brush to work it in. It took several times but the grime came off. I don't plan on shooting it, I have a black powder rifle already. I will just leave her clean and in retirement. I think they have a bayonette and a nipple protector on a chain available. Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread