OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a chance to swing this morning, for the first time in a while. I have taken to hunting almost exclusively park and school sites that according to old maps/topos/and aerial photos, once had homes and farms in them. And if they have adjacent woods, all the better.

Went this morning to a very new school, just a few miles from home. On the back side of the school fields, is maybe 6 or 8 acres of woods, and on the other side of that, a public park with lots of fields.

The woods were once the site of a home dating to at least 1877. (and the 1850 map shows a home close by, but isn't accurate enough to be sure it is this one.

After hunting the ball fields close to the woods, I had found a couple wheaties (knew I was getting close)... and then entered the woods. Surprisingly, the house timbers and tin roof can be seen poking through the underbrush. Hard to swing (lot of vines...) but kicked out a 10 by 12 area. First good target in here was the telephone bell. (Really, really really trashy area).

Then another wheatie. Almost finished the little cleared spot, when I got a scratchy little chirp. Sounded off weakly from both directions in one axis, but only one direction in the other axis. VDI says its a clad dime at six inches. Now I don't dig too many clad dimes at six inches deep in the woods... so I figured I better dig this one. Had to chase it around with my pinpointer a little (man that's a tiny coin)

Bingo.

hd1.jpg
hd2.jpg
hd3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great little coin there......congrats on the seated with arrows!! What's the item with the red dots??

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great little coin there......congrats on the seated with arrows!! What's the item with the red dots??

According to an identical one on eBay, that is an early motorcycle reflector.

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the half dime! And I'm glad you shared the picture of the telephone bell I dug one up yesterday and told my girlfriend it looked like some sort of a bell thing but wasn't sure until now! Congrats again and happy hunting

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why, but I seem to be a telephone bell magnet.

I must have found a half-dozen of them.

Two, in the last month. I guess trashy house demolition sites are what I hunt most often.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug a couple myself -- thought they were from bicycles, but I'll bet mine were also from old telephones :thumbsup:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the bells are nice relic finds! Might make a nice sub-display of just the bells you've found.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are more determined than me, :notworthy: I would have waited until late fall after most of the undergrowth dies off. Your work paid off. That's a sweet seated. :occasion14: The half dime is still on my bucket list.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice bud. I found the exact same coin earlier this year. My first half dime. Yours looks great

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are more determined than me, :notworthy: I would have waited until late fall after most of the undergrowth dies off. Your work paid off. That's a sweet seated. :occasion14: The half dime is still on my bucket list.

Oh.. I'll be going back in the fall... And with a smaller coil.

(I was swinging a 10x12 butterfly through all that trash)

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice bud. I found the exact same coin earlier this year. My first half dime. Yours looks great

Thanks. It was my first half-dime too. I'm pretty excited about the find.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super nice find Owk, and I like the post too!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats!

I thought I found one of those one time, nope, modern dime that had been caught in a washer for a while and worn down. :BangHead:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard work definitely paid off! Sweet little piece of silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread