Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11400983_10204216208547065_1200320189210722908_n.jpg Mature head, Tall numbers. I cant believe the shape this is in. My first large cent. Also the oldest coin I have found so far. This year has been very good to me.

Upvote 13
OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am excited and it should not have been there. Its a new drop and I have never seen a copper coin that old in this shape. Anyone know what a coin like this fetches?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca , That is a really pretty Large Cent - in general terms - what kind of site were you in when you found that ? Looks
like a surface find ,( I'm guessing that's what you mean by a "new drop" ) Kid lost his show and tell piece perhaps ?
Nice find Amigo ! Would have made my month !

( my 2015 Redbook of U.S. Coins - shows $25 for F, and $32 for VF - so we're not talking huge $$$ here )
What is the connection between the title of your post , and the coin you pictured in the post ?

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great coin! I think you are right about it being dropped recently.

I don't quite understand the thread title. Could you elaborate?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your southwestern soil has been very good to that coin. Congrats on the LC. :occasion14:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one super clean large cent there . Go back there and find the others.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Wow!
Did someone change the title for this thread?

Yes, there ARE things I would not post online... many things.

I have read the treasure trove laws. There's plenty of things I might keep really quiet about.

And then there's Jimmy Hoffa... Whatcha gonna do if you find his cufflink out behind an old building? There's gonna be a big change in your life, for a while!

And we had a 'goldsmith' member, years back, who hunted relics on private land. He got raided when some agent person thought he got them on gubment land. He's long gone... they shut down his business... ruined his life.

Some things are better off kept in hush-hush mode, IMO.
rmptr

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't want to see this post slip into obscurity - Aren't you guys /gals interested in this super clean Large Cent found way out
West - there's gotta be a good story here !

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca , That is a really pretty Large Cent - in general terms - what kind of site were you in when you found that ? Looks
like a surface find ,( I'm guessing that's what you mean by a "new drop" ) Kid lost his show and tell piece perhaps ?
Nice find Amigo ! Would have made my month !

( my 2015 Redbook of U.S. Coins - shows $25 for F, and $32 for VF - so we're not talking huge $$$ here )
What is the connection between the title of your post , and the coin you pictured in the post ?
Yes the area I was hunting I hunt a lot. Im sure there are others who hunt there too. I will post more as I reply to the other threads.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was asked why I wouldn't want to post this find. To answer your post, yes it was found the day I posted. Please feel free to remove all my post if it makes you happy. This should not have been where I found it. It just goes to show, you got to walk over it to find it. I do understand something like this, in this shape, is not one of my regular finds. I dont mind sharing where I hunt, its no secret if you look at my past post.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I have been tactful in the way I have asked my questions - (and I'm not going to stop now) - but Casca could you please just
give us some story here - I'm not prying for what GPS co-ordinates you were at when you found this Large Cent. Could you just
tell us something in general terms ? like : I was at a park ... , school grounds , or private yard , please ! just how you found
this amazing find . Cheers .

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great coin! I think you are right about it being dropped recently.

I don't quite understand the thread title. Could you elaborate?

I think I can answer most of the questions here using this quote the best. I was very execited and as we say here, "Im calling it a day" when I found this. The south western soil is good to finds here, but that coin was not in the ground long. My title was about finds like this, as I wanted to find the owner. As someone mentioned, some folks troll these sites to stir up trouble also. Even the Moderator wants to delete the post. For now, its in my collection, and I do have a nice collection I just dont post much.

The coin was found with in the first 5 minutes of a hunt. It was found under a swing, at the entrance to a local park. It was found with several other items. This area gets hits hard by local detectorist and it was found mid week. Usually by mid day Monday the bulk of finds would be scooped up. The coin was not dug so much as turned up. It was down about 6 inches in the wood chips. I hunt mostly wood chips. The hunts are quicker, and finds cleaner. I have found more gold and silver there than any trip prospecting to the mountains. Over head is a lot lower too. Cost me about 2 bucks to travel around town to one of the 104 city parks we have here in Las Cruces. That coin is the hunt I would say a lot of us hunt for. It made my whole year. It is in too good of shape but thats the beauty of new drops and gleaning a park. I have many old coins in just as good a shape or better. My wife has many new rings. I hope to melt all this stuff down someday and make bars out of it. I laugh as my friends I hunt with are shy of people and keep a low profile. When we have events in town and parks, I take my detector and walk right through the middle of the crowd. My humpday hunt was very quiet, a dozen people in the park. Believe it or not, I was just as happy when I dug the fish hook out of the next tot lot I hunted. I keep my tot lots clean. My wife even collects the pull tabs for charity, so not much gets tossed. I do have a tumbler for the finds I actually use the lesche on. The coin does have damage I did not show in the picture on purpose. The original owner could identify it. I do return finds when I can. I believe the appraisal of $25.00 dollars is low on this coin. My red book shows it a lil higher. Now I have a upgraded F75 LTD2 to hunt the tot lots. You should see the small chain links and pieces of jewlrey I find. No less in wood chips. I have become very good at pulling targets out of wood chips the same color as them. Now the parks water here every day. If that coin had been there more than a day or so, it would have had some discoloration from the water. I dont know why but the water literally eats the new coins. While most finds are under the $200.0 dollar range. This penny is unique and should be returned to the owner if I ever find him or her. My inverstment of thousands of dollars in equipmentdo not trump the pain of the loss of such a beautiful coin and our history here. While Im sharing, here is a funny ha ha. I run this beast of a detector on the lowest more sensitive settings like I was hunting wet sand. It still goes deep and really pulls out some gems along the tin foil. After a event, I find it all here. I once found two gold coins which were also new drops. Now when I say gold, gold in color as they were the new gold dollar coins. But man what a rush. I will close on this, my old bounty hunter 202 could have found this coin. Still looking for a barber and reale folks.

joeyo

Jan 22, 2015
minneapolis
Detector(s) used
E-trac baby!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paranoia will destroy you..... Let's get real. It's a $25.00 coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread