• IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 26
What a great find!

Unfortunately, there is no way to 'safely clean' a coin. So it'll depend on what your objective is. If you want it clean for personal display, and not worried about value, there are a number of ways to clean copper. I would tell you the best way, but I'm still figuring that out for myself. There are numerous threads on coin cleaning, so take your pick.

I think if it were mine, I'd leave it as is. If the coin type and date are recognizable, you've won half the battle.

Thanks, KirkS, I appreciate the advice.

Ill tell you from my experience with an 1858 FE i found it was in slightly more deteriorated condition than yours. The nickel in them does not hold up well. I did electrolysis and then scotch pad. Now i went so extreme because of A. Being a curious novice and B. I wanted a date to write on the coin flip.

Now you already can read a date. Thats awesome. You should be psyched about that. Secondly, its clearly a flying eagle no question. And One Cent is visible. It looks great as it is. Looks like a dug coin. The coin will never look better than it does right now. Its past that point. The only suggestion i would make it takes a little nose or forhead grease on your finger and lightly rub it over the highest points on the coin like the date and the eagle. This will darken them slightly and contrast the image.

Nice find & on my bucket list still. As others have mentioned cleaning copper coins can mess them up and I've done messed up some nice old coins myself "experimenting" on them while cleaning. If you decide a method of cleaning go SLOW and gradual. Too nice a find to mess up with cleaning process.

The only suggestion i would make it takes a little nose or forhead grease on your finger and lightly rub it over the highest points on the coin like the date and the eagle. This will darken them slightly and contrast the image.
Nose or forehead grease? You dripping or what?

Nice find on the Flying Eagle ruh-roh. I'd throw it in olive oil and forget about it for a month or so. Then I'd take a toothpick to it to clean off whatever I could and be done with it. Finish it off with a good boil in water to remove any excess olive oil.

Or if you're in a hurry you could give it an ammonia bath. Place your coin in a container and start pouring a small quantity of ammonia solution (25%) over it. When the coin is fully immersed take the container to a well ventilated area and allow the chemical to dissolve the corrosion. As the cleaning commences it is a good idea to return once in a while and check on your progress. If you notice a build up of deposits on the container bottom stir the solution and insure homogenization. Depending on the amount of corrosion present you should start to see the solution turn a green/blue color after a few minutes. Don’t worry the color change it is quite normal and a good indication the process in working properly. When you feel enough corrosion has been removed, retrieve and wash your coins under cold water. After rinsing and being sure all traces of ammonia have been removed finally dry the coins with a cloth and inspect the results

Congrats on your find. On coppers like that, I just water mine off and brush lightly with a toothbrush. Then drop it in Virgin Olive Oil for a week or two. It will help bring out the patina, and detail.

Nice find, your best bet is probably leave it just like it is. I have had my best results with a light oil(mineral oil) soak for about a year.

You're very fortunate. When I found my 1857 FE I had to give the dealer $40!

Nose or forehead grease? You dripping or what?

No, the nose or forehead provide just enough oils to demonstrate what i explained to him. Im only offering suggestions that change the look of the coin in small percentages. Dropping the whole coin in oil changes the look of it forever and he might not like it.

No, the nose or forehead provide just enough oils to demonstrate what i explained to him. Im only offering suggestions that change the look of the coin in small percentages. Dropping the whole coin in oil changes the look of it forever and he might not like it.

Funny you said that...a coin dealer in the Bryan/College Station area here said the exact same thing re. forehead "oil". He would then take scotch tape, and place it on the coin to remove surface dirt that the "oil" collected. I told him he needed to wash his forehead afterwards. He agreed.

The things you learn on this site....

I'd be happy with it as is.
Many guys go their entire detecting lives without finding one, I sure haven't. Its recognizable, date readable, it is what it is and any attempt to spiff it up will be counter productive.

Congratualtions on the FE cent! :occasion14:

IMHO: As for the cleaning...just hit it with a toothbrush and display. There are ways to clean but, yours looks good as it stands!

Congrats on the flying eagle. Not the easiest coin to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back