jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1858 indian head cent

The 1858 Indian Head Cent was a pattern. Although the Red Book has a section on patterns it is not listed in there. However, Krause Publications' Standard Catalog of World Coins 1801-1900 does list them in the patterns section of the United States' listings. In actuality there are an array of varieties of reverses, metal compositions and thin and thick planchet varieties. I remember also reading of it before as a kid and even wrote to Kenneth Bressett (editor of the Red Book) inquiring as to a reason as why it was not listed.

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Re: 1858 indian head cent

Thanks for the help, he is going to send me a pic so I will post as soon as I can. He feels that the coin will grade xf & has no idea of its worth.?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o Outstanding! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :headbang:

I adjusted your pics slightly so as to be able to view the whole coin at once. What a great piece he has!

Do you know how he came across it? If he is looking for a value, that is one to talk to an expert about as there are several different varieties of patterns but its value must be significant.

Congrats to your friend! :thumbsup:

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
looks like one of the first two from the link diggin the past provided, due to the lack of the shield on back. AWESOME, would love to hear the story on how he come to possess this coin!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
If it was mine I would surely have it authenticated by one of the grading companies to make sure it's real. If it is it's likely worth quite a bit. The "Liberty" on the head dress looks double struck. Is that a trick of the camera ?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be....Judd 208. In Breens..............1940.....1858 prototype. Centered date, leaves in clusters of 5. "Proofs only". Judd 208. Base of 1 about as far from border as top of 1. 2 OBV. dies. R-1 in Rarity. A proof 66 example,(Judd-208--Pollack-259..R-1), sold for $4887.00 in 2009. It closely resembles the Judd 210, R-8, but I believe you have the Judd 208. Spacing of the "O", in "ONE", on the reverse is not right in your example for the Judd 210. Hard to tell but I believe you have the BUST of the 208, not the broad bust of the 210. GREAT FIND! If you were to ask me, I think it would grade in the VF25-35 range. It does have slight wear and and small scratches. EF...DEFINITELY NOT! Too much wear, especially in leaves on reverse. Can't wait to hear the rebutle on grading :tongue3: :laughing9: Trying to look for auction prices.

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
The owner of the coin told me that he can't remember how he came about it. He remembered that he had it quite a while back but couldn't find it. He went back through his coins & dug it out, that is when he called me. He knows quite a lot about coins & runs a hobby shop & sells some of his coins so it may be up for sale. I talked to him today & told him that there were several different variations so he needed to do some research on it. I doubt that he will send it in to be graded as he is very good at it himself so I thing he will try to come up with a value & sell it.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under Judd 208....in Coinfacts.com, it lists "Pollack" #'s of 253-Rarity 7, 254,259,261. Don't know the Pollack info. A REAL coin expert needs to look at this, to determine what Pollack variety it is. Judd list is R-1, (1251+ examples known). More than likely, your "common", coinshop guy, may not have this knowledge.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to agree with Hogge here and somewhat reiterate what I said above. This coin needs to be viewed by an expert of Patterns or possibly of Indian Head Cents. Going to a standard type of coin dealer would most likely not do the coin justice, many would probably not want to get involved with it anyway due to questioning it's authenticity. For the record, I believe it to be the real deal but I am also not an expert. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I will talk to the owner today & pass on this great information, would pcgs be a good place to send it or are there other's better suited to look at the coin?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bula said:
I will talk to the owner today & pass on this great information, would pcgs be a good place to send it or are there other's better suited to look at the coin?
It's the ONLY one I would use. BUT.......you have to find someone to determine what "Pollack" variety it ACTUALLY IS FIRST! That's what I would do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread