1858 Mason jar

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 1858 Mason Jar.jpg
    1858 Mason Jar.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,493
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one and only cache was in a similar jar. I got a 50 cents reading on my Whites 6000 Di Pro I was using back then. Dug down and hit a mason jar lid. I knew from past experience that the lids gave a 50 cent reading. When I tried to pull the lid out of the ground it wouldn't come. Dug some more and saw blue glass under the lid. Dug some more and got the jar with lid intact. There were silver coins in the jar. Old jar, 1858, newer silver, 42 Walking Liberty Halves. I guess the jar had been in that family for a while!

Wasn't the old silver but a cache is a cache.

Beautiful jar. Great unexpected find for you!

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It just so happens I have already found a zink lid with the white glass insert in it.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old River said:
It just so happens I have already found a zink lid with the white glass insert in it.

You are good to go then.....Very nice jar. Congrats on the great find!

DANGLANGLEY

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. I used to hunt old dumps here in ohio for bottles and jars. I have a few but not that old. Great find

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I poped a old Big Bullet shaped Jar out one time, in some sandy soil, and it sure made my heart jump but it was empty. Its my Clad jar now, I got the white glas canning lid and all on that one.

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, its sort of dissapointing to find a jar, and not have coins, or something in it besides dirt. Keep looking maybe one day our luck will change.

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
My Ball Ideal jar wasn't as old! July 18th 1908, and it had 10 Morgan and 3 Peace silver dollars in it!!!!! that is a sweet jar! now you have to find a matching lid!

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a lid. I'm really proud of the jar. I would have been nice to have had a few coins in it though. :(

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
I can only imagine what you "thought" when you first saw it.......LOL

Cheers!

Dugholes...... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can tell you this, I held my breath for a little while. I didn't know wheather to shout, or cry.

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I love old canning jar like this! Just for the record though, those dates on the jars refer to the patent date of the type of seal on the jar, and don't necessarily reflect the age of the jar. Although Mason got the patent in 1858, i believe jars bearing this date were made into the 20th century.

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The site this was found in dates from Pre civil war to the late 1800's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread