Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this very interesting token today too in addition to all the awesome early colonial stuff at this site. This and one IHP were the only notable non colonial finds. The Marshall House was an inn/tavern in Alexandria Va where the first Union officer was killed during the Civil War by the hotel owner after successfully removing the Confederate flag flying from its roof. Many refer too this token as the first Confederate cent

Attachments

• 6668F8E8-F704-4AD5-8E16-D6592BFB6379.jpeg
    6668F8E8-F704-4AD5-8E16-D6592BFB6379.jpeg
    715.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 0E4449BF-9FE5-488D-8F30-7C777879CEC5.jpeg
    0E4449BF-9FE5-488D-8F30-7C777879CEC5.jpeg
    805.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Upvote 21

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That token is probably rarer than hens teeth. I really like it and think that it is something pretty special if you ask me.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes sir, that first Union officer killed was Elmer Ellsworth who led the Zouve's in the Union Army. He was a personal friend of President Lincoln and Lincoln was said to have mourned the death of this young officer as if he had been one of his own sons. Great find of the coins and this has a personal tie to a very significant story in the early stages of the Civil War. Well Done and Congrat's to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That token is probably rarer than hens teeth. I really like it and think that it is something pretty special if you ask me.

Yeah. Looks like they sell for at least several hundred online

DigginNorthernVa

Jul 9, 2018
Fairfax Station, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue and Gray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! First one I've ever seen dug. They are usually struck with a weak 9 in the date. Yours looks very legible. Sweet!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya know, I learn a heckuva lot hanging out here...I had never heard of a Marshall House Token before this evening. Nicely done!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lincoln sort of put Ellsworth up to going after the flag. Lincoln told him that it really bothered him looking across the Potomac and seeing the Confederate flag flying every day. Ellsworth decided to go for the flag and got himself killed. Gary

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful piece of history, congratulations! :occasion14:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes it is best to just leave well enough alone........this was one of those times when I'm sure if the young Col. Ellsworth were given a second chance, he would have told Ole' Abe.....something like, "You know Mr. President, now that you look at it, the Confederate Flag doesn't look so bad fluttering in the breeze across the Potomac. Anyways, its plum across the river on their side." This may have been an ideology in which he could have lived by.:flag_red:

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes it is best to just leave well enough alone........this was one of those times when I'm sure if the young Col. Ellsworth were given a second chance, he would have told Ole' Abe.....something like, "You know Mr. President, now that you look at it, the Confederate Flag doesn't look so bad fluttering in the breeze across the Potomac. Anyways, its plum across the river on their side." This may have been an ideology in which he could have lived by.:flag_red:

I honestly think Ellsworth would of said...I resign my commision...YOU go take down the flag....since he would know the total outcome of the war...and he would of headed WEST...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread