1860 Map of Pennsylvania

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
I have the chance to buy an old map of Philly, Pa. and surrounding area, it is definitely original!
It has rollers on the ends like the kind they used years ago in school, 2 hooks to hang it and then roll it down. It is in pretty poor shape, cracks in the upper part and tears on the top edge. Anyone have any idea how to restore this map. Seems to be paper layed on top of canvas, but not sure.
It has lots of detail with even houses and owners names at that time.
I think it will be a great tool in helping me locating future MD'ing sites.
It's hugh around 4 feet by 5 feet.

So what I am asking is:
How to restore it?
What should I pay for it?

thanks,
Roger

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Dont know how bad of shape it is in & I dont know the value of these things but I do know it can be repaired. If damage is extensive it may cost much more to repair it than the map is worth. Bottom line, if you realy like the map & it will hang in a nice place in your home & you can get it for a low price Id say buy it! But I love old maps, so thats just my opinion. Look on google, you may find that map & its value, look for info on the printer & topographer if you have that info.

OP
OP
R

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
I didnt get all the info when I looked at it, but it says its a Philadephia Map. It does have the surrounding counties on it. Now that I remember you are in that it isn't a made in 1860 map, as it is mounted on metal tubes, probably not used the early. Where it was used I am not sure but looks like one we used when I was a student in school, but this has to be older, I ask why would they use a old map of the 1860 anywhere? When did they start putting metel rollers on?
The Map damage is only at the top! lots of tears and loose from the roller on left side top. It is in color. it doesnt roll down with a spring but rolls up onto the bottom roller.
I love old maps too! As far as displaying it, I would if I can restore it myself. Cyn can you help me?
My strongest interest is in locating old building locations for MD'ing with the concern of causing more damage and making the damage already there worse from rolling it up and down.

Roger

OP
OP
R

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Cyn,
Sorry I failed to answer all you questions! It is smooth on the surface and lined back as you said. Most of the damage is at the top, missing areas in a couple of spots, left top is off tin rollers and tears maybe 8 to 10 about 3 to 4 inches down. Tiny hair line cracks from top to about 1/3 of the way down. No smell, as he is a antique dealer and a close friend of my mothers.
She called him last night, and this guy is 77 years old and has a barn and his house packed with antiques, he has scammed and conned bydealers and the rich and has left a bad bad taste in him and he is fed up with people, so he just gives out a random price knowing it is high, anyway he gave me a price of $150.00. Seems very high considering the extensive damage!

Roger

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. If it were me and my home state/county I would consider paying that. It's old- I would also do the restoration by myself though, as well as the mounting.. so the most expensive part would probably be the acid free backing to mount it on. After that's done and it's framed/matted/mounted it sure would look SHARP! Would be worth more that way too.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
It's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

My thoughts exactly.

If Your willing to pay it, Buy It.

I once paid $500.00 for a County Atlas

OP
OP
R

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Okay, I am working on picking it up! You guys convienced me.
So, since I only see the date of 1860 on so far (haven't completely unrolled it as
he didnt have a big enough area to do so) and since it has tin rollers instead of wooden dowel rods, that the tin rollers were added later on? I am guessing they were.
It wasnt a map for display but had a useful purpose, not knowing what that would be, I can't seem to unserstand why a school needed to use a map with the owners names on the houses, or why would a township need to make a map later on from 1860, since they obviously had some kind of data giving the information to make a map already?

Plus why would the CIA covert division need a map of 1860 if it was made later hmmmm LOL just kidding !
Roger

Cyn, I do have the area to do the restoration myself, so the real question is should I?

OP
OP
R

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Whoa! Calm down CYN, I have no plans on doing anything, it was a question that was suppose to get a response of " No Roger you shouldnt as it takes experience and know how" Was not suppose to "tick anyone off.
I don't have any idea what is involved, I restored a 1951 650cc Thunderbird Triumph motorcycle one time, I build RC airplanes from scratch, but being in Law Enforcement I was just probing if it easy or not. I was hoping to get your expertise on it not tick you off, Sorry
Roger

OP
OP
R

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Thanks Neil,
I decided against buying the map, for a couple reasons, and since I was just going to use it to find old MD'ing sites your post secured my decision.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread