1861 Counterfeit Dime

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hello,

I wish I could take credit for this find, but I cannot.? A gentlemen from my club here in Sprinfield MO found it last month.? He is an avid Civil War Relic Hunter. His name is Phil.? He has founds more things over his years than most museums have.? But this one is a first for him.? He needed help finding out more info about it.?

He found it about 4 or 5 inches down on the side of what appeared to be a hut indention or some sort of dug out area.? An obvious man made indention.? It is marked 1861.? It does have the words one dime on the back. The hole, not sure.? Prove it counterfeit, wear around someones neck, I dont know.? This is what we need help with. It is not silver, it is a metal alloy of some sort.? Iron maybe, didnt scratch too much on it.? The silver paint? is flaking off.?

Someone said at our meeting the other night that counterfeit is worth more than the real ones in some cases.

Any ideas? Anyone ever find one like it before?

Chris in SW Missouri

Attachments

• coinback1.jpg
    coinback1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,703
  • coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,700
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it Depends on if it's a "Period" Counterfeit.
(A dime bought alot back then. so Counterfeit Dimes are possible),

or if it's a modern Production.

the Hole in the Center makes me think, most likely counterfeit and holed to prevent its future use.
as with the hole the content would be easier to see.
? ? Altho' If you look Close that hole is a Little too Perfectly centered.
as if, done by machine.
? ? ? it may be a piece of early 20th. century jewelry.

either way, it's a Very Cool find.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Jeff

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!! You can see her _ ipples!!!! ;D

Cool find!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
livetoplay804

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Ok, lets recap, perfect hole perfect _____ipples?

Anyway, never thought of that, the hole is perfectly centered and looks to be a machined hole.

Hope someone has some more info on it. Lets keep this thread going. Someone out there surely knows about it?

Thanks for all the replies.

Chris from SW Missouri

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda reminds me of a counterfeit seated quarter that I found a while ago.
I have about a half dozen of these coins that I found detecting.

Attachments

• counterfeit quarter 001.jpg
    counterfeit quarter 001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2,530
  • counterfeit quarter 002.jpg
    counterfeit quarter 002.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,504

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
I dug the counterfeit Gold Dollar at a Civil War camp and when I cleaned it with water the gold gilt ran right off it . Tell Phil his is in great condition and congrats. Thanks for showing it.

Dave

OP
OP
livetoplay804

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks for all the great replies. I am going to print all of these and take them to our next club meeting and give them to Phil. Its one thing to find an old coin, one of a couple million or so, but to find one that is counterfeit, how many of those are out there.

Everyone keep diggin and good luck.

Thanks,
Chris from SW MO

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
I am pretty new to the coin collecting field but have been finding out there have been quite a few counterfiet coins made in the past. Do some research on line and youll find em. You never know you may even have one in your pocket right now.

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
that is a well known counterfeit (to seated dime collectors anyway)
1861 seated dime, die struck from hand cut dies (not at the mint) bronze or brass alloy, presumably silver plated, design is very close to correct, but not quite, obviously made to circulate as money during a time when a dime actually bought something, quite a few around, (usually without the hole)? ?

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is late, but I was with the guy who dug that dime, I dug a teardrop at the same site, along with a couple dropped 54 caliber bullets

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
here is a better pic of the famous 1861 counterfeit dime, this is a die-struck counterfeit, from hand-cut dies. very similar to the real thing but a sharp eye will pick up a few subtle differences in the counterfeiters design.

1861bogo.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and I wonder how long it lasted before the plating started to wear and show the truth below.

U

umrgolf

Iron Patch said:
Very cool and I wonder how long it lasted before the plating started to wear and show the truth below.

A lot longer than this quarter :laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,002

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread