🥇 BANNER 1862 S $10 gold

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Got my 15th gold coin. And a key-date gold coin. 1862 S $10. Will probably only merit a "40" grade at best, eh ? Plus I knicked it on the reverse below the "ten" (aargghh).

Got this over the weekend with a buddy on a reconn. trip to a new site we've been researching. A defunct country/mountain resort "in California".

Aside from this one coin, we got no other coins. Which was strange, because we got no lack of other period targets of a 'personal' effect nature. Eg. buttons, harmonica reeds, spoons, suspender clips, period match safe box, etc.... (as opposed to period bullet shells, period building debris, etc...). Will post pix of the other items in the day to come. In the meantime, here's the coin.

20170117_095946.jpg

20170117_095850.jpg

Upvote 148

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In search of a lost chalice.
The Holy Grail.
For a coin shooter, that is what a gold coin represents.
Congrats on a beautiful find and a well deserved
Banner.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there's another "WOW" factor find. The only gold coins I've come across are the ones I've seen with my nose pressed against the glass looking at them.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a bitter sweet moment for me when he brought it over to show me during our hunt. I've now witnessed him dig three gold coins, blessed is right!

Congrats again Tom!

good thing He^ likes you coulda wacked ya with his digger while you were down and off with the coin... Great find though Congrats!

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
good thing He^ likes you coulda wacked ya with his digger while you were down and off with the coin... Great find though Congrats!

Yes. He has a "running joke threat" that if I were to ever find another , while on one of our ghost-townsy trips, that he would "throw me down the hill", and bury me out in the mountain or desert somewhere. I also have a running threat joke that if I find the superior cool first old/best coin of the trip, that I will demand the he fall to his knees, kiss the hem of my garment, and address me as "oh mighty one". Neither of us made good on our threats. :laughing9:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful coin! Congratulations and keep them coming!

Steve

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I missed this in the posts my apologies, but how deep was this awesome find?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If I missed this in the posts my apologies, but how deep was this awesome find?

Hi there doggoneit. I didn't really make mental note of the depth. Because we had been digging a bunch of nuisance bullet shells of various calibers. Eg.: .32 cal, shotgun butts, and so forth. And this signal struck me as no different than the array of period junk and targets we'd been digging. So I made no effort to be aware of the depth.

But I'd say no more than 4 or 5". Because I recall stopping the second I realized it was a gold coin. It was still in the clod, so I just left my detector, and hole-still-open, and went to fetch my buddy. So that we could do the "reveal" together :) Then about 5 minutes later (after some pix, looking it up on the PCGS website with our smart-phones, etc...) , only THEN did I go back to fill in the hole . And I was showing my buddy "it came from right here" (because we're keeping a mental track of the locations of finds from this place). And I recall, when filling back in my hole, that it had been no deeper than any of the other period targets, bullet shells, etc.... And it was just a divot, with perhaps a single handful of dirt pulled out from below that.

Hence I'll get less than 5" deep. An easy "gimmee" signal. All a function of "location location location". And not the machine, or depth, or un-masking, etc......

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to read that twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things . Your 15th gold coin .......... holy crap . That thing is beautiful , congrats

356rmb

Jan 16, 2017
NEPA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT/MAX, APEX, ACE 350 WITH A DD COIL,TEKNETICS DELTA 4000,
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a beauty coin congrats. I can only hope and pray to find one like that. it would make one of my wishes come true lol
thanks for sharing and that is a banner all day long. way to go RICH :hello2: :icon_thumleft:

4dd3

May 2, 2016
Sweden
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, just look at that. Awesome. How does it even feel digging up gold coins? :D "Is this real life?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread