1864 2 Cent piece and an interesting flower button

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday and today and did some cellar hole scouting. We walked several miles through the woods and located a couple cellar holes to hunt. Here's a couple pics of one that we found. This first one was right on top of where we parked. The second one was over a mile deep in the woods. That one was very overgrown and not very huntable.
252.JPG 253.JPG

The best two finds that turned up at these sites were an interesting flower button with some gold gilt remaining on it and an 1864 two cent piece. The two center came up at a very overgrown cellar hole we found today while following an old colonial road through the woods. My hunting buddy (FatTony315) actually found it while scouting an area about 100-150 yards off the old road. There wasn't very much huntable ground around the foundation....its very overgrown and we will probably revisit this site in the spring. It definitely seems promising because one of the only places I was actually able to put the coil to the ground I got a semi-jumpy high 60s low 70s reading on my VX3 that was indicating a depth of three inches. There was a big root I had to work around and the 2 center was directly below the root.

255.JPG 254.JPG

It turned out to be an 1864...and it seems to be in fairly good condition.

257.JPG 256.JPG

I found this button with a flower design on it yesterday at a site that dates to 1820...although I'm sure this button is much more modern than that. . It's a one piece button that has a lot of the gold gilt remaining on it.

263.JPG 264.JPG

I also found this today. It appears to be brass or copper and has the number 1 visible on it. Any ideas on this piece?

258.JPG 259.JPG

Here's a picture of the finds made today and yesterday.

260.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the two center & I love that flower button.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area looks great, nice 2 center and the button is sweet

pepperj

Gold Member