1864 2 cents

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
1495577299725.jpg

1495577298792.jpg

Took the Deus to my beaten jewelry patch at a park and decided to relic hunt for deep squeakers instead. There used to be a farmstead on the land and a road bisecting the park...both long gone. Hunting slowly 18khz, 0 discrim, silencer -1, reactivity 3, notch 0-38, I caught a signal nearly at the edge of detection. Two directions two different tones and faint. Pinpointing was difficult wiggling-off. I switched to 8khz, and dropped reactivity to see what's up, something I don't normally do. Loud and clear two directions two different tones...hmmmm?

Stabbing into the soil I'm stopped dead at 1-2 inches by a hard object. Move 90 degrees, damn, same thing. On the fourth stinking try I see a brick and think, I'm not digging that up it'll leave a crater, but the pinpointer is flipping out saying dig. I found another brick below that one and both bricks sat at 45 with the signal coming between them. Stabbing between the bricks with just enough space for my screwdriver it's a wonder I didn't scratch it as I was kind of wildly flicking soil out.

Must have been near 7 to 8 inches and it was on a 45 degree angle.

I didn't even know what it was except United States and a number 2. I knew it was my oldest coin found though. I've hit a few silver dimes and several Indian cents in this unasuming park but never did I think it would give up a coin like today's.

That cigar was for my next gold find - close enough today. And just finished it off...yum! :occasion14:

Keep on swingin'!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I'll join you.... 1495580193512.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Edge is my favorite Rocky Patel blend.....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, thank you for sharing...Very nice find! :occasion14:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and awesome find story. Way to not give up on it. Get really nervous going deep in park sites. Another illustration of how using the different frequencies even on the same target can yield some interesting results. And way not to sleep on an on-the-fly reactivity change. I am curious whether you also switched silencer back to -1/0 when you dropped reactivity or just went with the default? Hope you made sure there wasn't something else between those bricks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The Edge is my favorite Rocky Patel blend.....

My favorite cigar is a Bolivar robusto in the crystal tubes. Then Oliva or Rocky Patel, occasionally an Onyx... yours don't look bad though! 8-)

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find and awesome find story. Way to not give up on it. Get really nervous going deep in park sites. Another illustration of how using the different frequencies even on the same target can yield some interesting results. And way not to sleep on an on-the-fly reactivity change. I am curious whether you also switched silencer back to -1/0 when you dropped reactivity or just went with the default? Hope you made sure there wasn't something else between those bricks.

Thanks. I almost did walk away. Two bricks and an open hole I stood up and took a few steps away before doubling back recomitted to extracting the signal. "You got to be kidding me!" was about all I could think at that point. :happysmiley:

I actually did not change the silencer and used the default setting at reactivity 2 at TX2. I thought it might gain me some depth with those changes and just wanted a second opinion from 8khz. If it remained a faint signal I'd probably have passed...but then again, I don't know for sure. It was located near the end of a 4 hour hunt and I was getting weary from many deep iron fakers...this one almost had me faked out the wrong way.

There are no signals above the notch within 5 feet of those bricks. I literally dug every peep in a 5 foot radius after that recovery. All trash.

Good hunting to you!

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love your story as much as the coin! Thanks for sharing!
Ps. I Had a dream few weeks ago that I found one of those 2 cents.
Hope it's a premonition [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Persistence gets the goodies!! :occasion14:
Nice coin, good cigar and some seriously dirty hands!!!!
I find your 0 - 38 notch interesting.... any reasoning behind it? Is that only in 18 khz?

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. Love getting my hands dirty.

Good question. Yes, the notch that high is for 18khz only. If I were strictly jewelry hunting (which is what I mostly do) I'd notch nothing, but there was still a chance I'd hit gold at this spot so I couldn't bring myself to notch it up more. Initially I set to 42 then thought about recent gold drops and corrected it to 38. Deus tends to drive tone upwards as the signal gets deeper so only the deeper, larger foil should sound off. And that's pretty much how it worked out - pie tins chunks and large foil seals from 5" and greater. I've also noticed better success when going after the squeakers, in my usual case those are stud earrings, it aids in quieting Deus ground feedback which very often masks the very faint signals.

I guess I should add I used an audio response of 6 yesterday. Looking for the jewels I prefer audio response 3. Any time I seek deep or faint signals I use audio response 6 and use the coil lifting technique to guage depth/size.
Congrats! Persistence gets the goodies!! :occasion14:
Nice coin, good cigar and some seriously dirty hands!!!!
I find your 0 - 38 notch interesting.... any reasoning behind it? Is that only in 18 khz?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. Love getting my hands dirty.

Good question. Yes, the notch that high is for 18khz only. If I were strictly jewelry hunting (which is what I mostly do) I'd notch nothing, but there was still a chance I'd hit gold at this spot so I couldn't bring myself to notch it up more. Initially I set to 42 then thought about recent gold drops and corrected it to 38. Deus tends to drive tone upwards as the signal gets deeper so only the deeper, larger foil should sound off. And that's pretty much how it worked out - pie tins chunks and large foil seals from 5" and greater. I've also noticed better success when going after the squeakers, in my usual case those are stud earrings, it aids in quieting Deus ground feedback which very often masks the very faint signals.

I guess I should add I used an audio response of 6 yesterday. Looking for the jewels I prefer audio response 3. Any time I seek deep or faint signals I use audio response 6 and use the coil lifting technique to guage depth/size.

Thanks for the info DT! I have read some use notch, some dont, some did but now dont.... you get the idea.... I would rather notch out items than discriminate them out.
I have gotten real use to the full tones and have been able to ID most targets without looking at the display before digging them up.

My local park is rough so I modded up the Sifter prog to eliminate the tons of Corona caps and pull tabs.
I am notching 0-20, 50-70 & 97-99 while using 8khz. Sens up to 88. Been pulling up tons of coins! I might get 1 broken tab here and there but way better than the 40 or so I was getting before. Haven't dug a Corona cap in like 3 visits!

This form rocks as it is great how we can all help each other out with stuff like this. :headbang:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem.

If a guy doesn't use full-tones then no reason to notch, IMO. But the advantage of notch over discrimination using full-tones is that it retains all the subtle tone characteristics where to my ears discrimination of any level (and silencer above 0, too) begins to degrade those subtle sounds. There is a time and place for notch but if I use it I always try to build in a bit of "Kentucky windage" to allow for the up averaging I see in the field. Tight notches are pretty worthless on the Deus in my experience. Unless you want to break-up the tone as an indicator it doesn't work well.

Testing for jewelry I notched everything but nickels 3 point spread on both sides and ran a prime spot new to me. Found very few and mostly less than a few inches. Opened it up 12 points both sides and could not believe what was missed. Lots of tabs but lots of coins too.

Edit: I'd avoid notching 97-99 at all cost if large shallow or deep silver are lurking your hunting grounds. That up average may bite you with a missed target. At most I'd do only 99 with caution. YMMV.

Thanks for the info DT! I have read some use notch, some dont, some did but now dont.... you get the idea.... I would rather notch out items than discriminate them out.
I have gotten real use to the full tones and have been able to ID most targets without looking at the display before digging them up.

My local park is rough so I modded up the Sifter prog to eliminate the tons of Corona caps and pull tabs.
I am notching 0-20, 50-70 & 97-99 while using 8khz. Sens up to 88. Been pulling up tons of coins! I might get 1 broken tab here and there but way better than the 40 or so I was getting before. Haven't dug a Corona cap in like 3 visits!

This form rocks as it is great how we can all help each other out with stuff like this. :headbang:

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 100% agree with you DT. Would never mid-notch (would have lost my gold rings found last summer). If you want gold jewelry, you are unfortunately going to dig plenty of pristine pull tabs (a very cruel joke from the MD gods) and nickels. Lol. I too have abandoned the "Iron Wraparound" 97-99 notch for the same reasons you state. Also, in my experience, iron wraparound high tone is almost always accompanied by an iron grunt tone (provided I haven't disc'd it out). And yes since disc and silencer are signal processing filters, the natural roll off at the cutoff will distort undiscriminated tonality whereas notch as an audio blanker will not. Just putting it out there.

Last edited:

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a real neat story, Deft! Your determination to follow the instruments is a great thing to read. Thanks!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem.

If a guy doesn't use full-tones then no reason to notch, IMO. But the advantage of notch over discrimination using full-tones is that it retains all the subtle tone characteristics where to my ears discrimination of any level (and silencer above 0, too) begins to degrade those subtle sounds. There is a time and place for notch but if I use it I always try to build in a bit of "Kentucky windage" to allow for the up averaging I see in the field. Tight notches are pretty worthless on the Deus in my experience. Unless you want to break-up the tone as an indicator it doesn't work well.

Testing for jewelry I notched everything but nickels 3 point spread on both sides and ran a prime spot new to me. Found very few and mostly less than a few inches. Opened it up 12 points both sides and could not believe what was missed. Lots of tabs but lots of coins too.

Edit: I'd avoid notching 97-99 at all cost if large shallow or deep silver are lurking your hunting grounds. That up average may bite you with a missed target. At most I'd do only 99 with caution. YMMV.

Interesting DT. Thanks for the input. I started to do the 97-99 from what I have read here... guess it old news now? LOL!
I basically made the changes I listed for the park I have been digging at. Lots of hot rocks, pull tabs, corona caps & other junk. Saved the changes right next to Sifter so I can toggle back n forth if needed.
With only an hour to swing usually, I was trying to avoid digging junk targets. A couple times I came home with like 3 coins and 40+ tabs & caps. Not good time management. Need more keeper targets! I have pulled up some Silver with the settings.

I 100% agree with you DT. Would never mid-notch (would have lost my gold rings found last summer). If you want gold jewelry, you are unfortunately going to dig plenty of pristine pull tabs (a very cruel joke from the MD gods) and nickels. Lol. I too have abandoned the "Iron Wraparound" 97-99 notch for the same reasons you state. Also, in my experience, iron wraparound high tone is almost always accompanied by an iron grunt tone (provided I haven't disc'd it out). And yes since disc and silencer are signal processing filters, the natural roll off at the cutoff will distort undiscriminated tonality whereas notch as an audio blanker will not. Just putting it out there.

Thanks VF! In some of your old posts, you had listed some mid notches and the IW 97-99 notch... maybe those were when you were using 3.2? I only started using my modded setup the last 2 or 3 times and I have pulled up some Silver and less junk so it looks like a good balance there.
I am more a coin guy as I don't think a lot of jewelry is lost in the park I am at. It is more like a big old soccer field that people play all sorts of sports on.

Always appreciate your posts, thoughts and suggestions! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am more a coin guy as I don't think a lot of jewelry is lost in the park I am at. It is more like a big old soccer field that people play all sorts of sports on.

Sounds like my best jewelry patch. Half dozen gold, dozens of silver, and lots of junk jewelry recovered from it over the last two years. Prior to that, my first year hitting this park it was a clad factory. Now days there are vast areas with no signals. The occasional clad still comes along (and this coin in this post) but few and far between now but I almost always come back with something worn on the body and lost.

You'll figure out what works best by trying different approaches. :icon_thumleft:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like my best jewelry patch. Half dozen gold, dozens of silver, and lots of junk jewelry recovered from it over the last two years. Prior to that, my first year hitting this park it was a clad factory. Now days there are vast areas with no signals. The occasional clad still comes along (and this coin in this post) but few and far between now but I almost always come back with something worn on the body and lost.

You'll figure out what works best by trying different approaches. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks! I have found an earring, a watch part, a Leo charm and some pin with initials on it at this place... I will did just about anything. Trying to make the keeper finds greater than the junk ones.
I would love to find some Gold but the coins just keep hopping out of the ground into my pouch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread