• coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 341
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 333
S

stefen

Based on the limited wear, you have a Variety 2 IH coin rated EF- 40 (extremely fine) to AU-50 (about uncirculated). There was also a 1864 Variety 3 (L on ribbon) minted in bronze that does not have the shield on the reverse...it's not as valuable

Value wise, the coin would be be in the $100 - $150+ range...eBay auction may vary all over the place...

If you are serious about selling, you might consider having it appraised professionally...then you can advertise it at the highest market level. If you look at eBay, you will see some high priced coins...however they are appraised by the sellers (usually at a higher grade and price)

If the coin is slabbed, it will be encased in a sealed container and will have all data on the (See sample below)

container...this assures the buyer that's it's a certified appraisal...

Whatever you do, do not clean the coin in any manner...it's too valuable and cleaning will only decrease the value....

Consider getting a 2011 Edition of the RED BOOK...costs around $15...

Attachments

• SLABBED COIN.jpg
    SLABBED COIN.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 292

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Stefen, I think your grading the coin based on details not condition. The coin would most likely be bodybagged by a TPG. It has environmental damage, porous surfaces, and corrosion characteristic of a dug coin. If it did slab it would grade "Genuine XX details" at best. Sending this coin out for grading would be a waste of $ IMO. Don't get me wrong it's a great coin but, to a knowledgeable collector the surface condition will keep it's value down to the range I stated. BTW The 1864 L is much rarer and the most valuable of this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread