Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to one old spot and one small new one. Found a toasted Draped Bust LC and a 1902 Indian at this site that I've worked all summer. After dinner last night I only had a half hour till dark so I thought I would try a very small patch of woods near town. Couldn't have been there 2 minutes when I popped an Indian. I didn't realize until I got back in my car that it was a) holed and b) and 1864. When I got home and cleaned it up I saw it was the variety with the "L". Hard to see in the scan, but not with a loop. Shame it had a hole, but a rare Indian.

coin 9-9-13 obv.jpg coin 9-9-13 rev.jpg

Upvote 4

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, I'm jealous. Congrats on your great finds.

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I ask; without sounding too stupid.... Why the hole in it ?

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not stupid. I'm guessing someone wanted to wear it around their neck. It was the first year of issue for the copper Indian cent.

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not stupid. I'm guessing someone wanted to wear it around their neck. It was the first year of issue for the copper Indian cent.

Thank you ! I couldn't imagine why anyone would do that but it makes sense I guess. In high school days we wore our boyfriends class ring around our neck sometimes :) probably the same kind of idea.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are A LOT of holed coins dug. Some were sewn into garments for safe keeping. Lost when the string broke.....and found by US!

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
Awesome find, I found an 1864 IH this year as well there is almost no crust on the coin except where the L would be. Guess ill never know. Anyway awesome find and keep them coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread