1865 Napoleon 10 Centimes

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a pretty great box of halves *before* I got to the 49th roll. 2 1964's, 3 40%'s, and a 1982-S proof.

Then in roll #49, I found this:

IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1857.JPG

At first in the dark I thought it was an old British Penny. Then I saw Napoleon and "Empire Francais". I did some Googling, and for a second thought I'd hit the jackpot on a 20 Franc gold piece. (It was dark, and I was over-tired and delirious).

Seems to be worth maybe five bucks from what I've seen. Think I'll hang on to this one - it's worth much more than five bucks to me to be able to show people the 148 year old foreign coin I pulled from a roll of JFK half dollars :)

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
1865-BB France 10 centimes- $3 in F, $1.50 in VG

I like the mintmark on the BB ones, it almost looks like a doubled die. It represents Strasbourg.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shame its worth so little.

Yeah. I think we need a different valuation system other than the open market cash value. This coin has to be worth like 500 CRH points, where a 40% Kennedy is worth, say 5 CRH points.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. I think we need a different valuation system other than the open market cash value. This coin has to be worth like 500 CRH points, where a 40% Kennedy is worth, say 5 CRH points.

Yes 500 points to you

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hunt halves in the dark? That seems counterproductive.

:laughing7:

Well, it wasn't in the total dark. I was sitting on the couch watching football, with the light of a 60-watt table lamp. Enough light to see silver, and I was face-checking everything anyway because I was in no rush. But with something unfamiliar like this, it was dim enough to be confused for a while about what I'd found.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing to think about how that coin ended up your hand! Very cool.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread