1865 needle in a haystack

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've written some about my labors around an old foundation deep in the woods near my mother's house; typically, I spend at least three hours clearing brush and stone for every hour I detect. Until today, my efforts were in vain except for the very good exercise! It's a good hike in and out, and the work at the site is very involved; at my advanced age (47) I'm ready to quit when the sun sets! Today, I did my usual work, clearing out a stretch of ground between the foundation and a mammoth oak trunk about 50 feet away. I found a heavy brass ring near the tree last year, and my imagination tells me that the shade beneath that oak was welcome. There may have been picnics there and who knows what else, and I've had success with large oaks in the past. It seemed like a good place to target. After about 2 1/2 hours without much success (or any, if coins are the measure), I just started to meander a little. This site isn't easy to navigate, that's why there is so much work to be done before you even turn on the detector. About 50 feet east of the oak, maybe midway between the house and barn in a triangle, I got an iffy signal. At this site, you dig them, obviously; any metal you find has to be old, even shotgun caps. I dug, searched the soil and finally noticed the round shape I was looking for. I hoped it would be an old wheat, at least, but soon realized it was an 1860 something Indian. After cleaning at home, it turned out to be an 1865, probably the 3rd or 4th I've found of that vintage. Nephew halfdime turned 18 today, so maybe I'll mail him a coin that was born the year Lincoln died.

Attachments

• 1865indian (Small).jpg
    1865indian (Small).jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 885
Upvote 0
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Here's a better picture...

Attachments

• 65Indian (Small).jpg
    65Indian (Small).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 859

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!! :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of work clearing brush away but looks like it is slowly paying off. HH, Mike

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
DD-777, seeing your avatar reminded me of something else I saw up in the woods: I was starting to pack up and heard the sound of an animal scuffling around. I figured it was a squirrel or some small mammal, but it was a turkey! Usually, I see them in a flock; this one was going solo. When it spotted me, it made a quick exit; I thought, "You better run, I have one of your relatives thawing in the refrigerator right now!"

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you finally got a coin outta there man! :thumbsup:

Let me know if you still need my help, this weekend would work for me.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Nice find, you deserve it after all that work. Whats all this crap about 47 being an advanced age??? You can't even get a senior citizen discount yet, LOL.

HH Charlie

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Unreal man, I thought you'd be the first to turn up something out there! This find has to inspire us to pull up some more oldies there too!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
DrDetector said:
Unreal man, I thought you'd be the first to turn up something out there! This find has to inspire us to pull up some more oldies there too!
We may never hit it big out there, but there has to be more coins. I think our best finds will be relics from a dump, well, outhouse or something like that. As long as that place is available, I'll go back to it, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions