Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that considered a semi key date? Looks to be in good condition with a thick patina. I don't know if cleaning it would be such a great idea however, that coin looks like a good candidate for a hydrogen peroxide cleaning, I don't know the exact technique. I tried it on a few coins here but I have different soil, not sandy at all. HH, Mike

May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, its up to you.
Personally, I wouldn't clean it. It looks like even with all the sand and dirt on the coin it is still in good condition. If you were to clean it, I would suggest not using any kind of rubbing techniques, and more or less a soaking technique.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my soil conditions, which are pretty acid, I find cleaning coppers does more harm than good most of the time. I really only try to get the dirt off and only go further if there's nothing visible to make an ID on the coin to begin with. I have made several ok looking coins worse and at least a couple unreadable in the past.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
A careful peroxide treatment will kick it up a notch. Do not over-do it, that is the tricky part. Go baby steps. Just knock off the dirt, peroxide does this well, but it can be easily overdone, use caution.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak in olive oil for a week an work off the dirt with a toothpick

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
First of all very nice coin. I am not suggesting that you do this but I am wondering if anyone has ever used an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner on a coin? I know it works really well on gold but I have never found a coin that was worth trying it on.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peroxide will not hurt a coin as long as there is no corrosion. Look at the edge right at the corner where the face meets the edge, if it is sharp, no corosion there, it is perfectly safe to use peroxide as much and as long as it takes. I usually go with 5 minute soaks in warm peroxide, 3 or 4 soaks are usually enough for the most stubborn crud. Each soak followed by a Q-tip wipe, continue untill Q-tip no longer gets dirty.

The coins that get worse using it were corroded, and there is no majic for them.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I frequently use an ultrasonic cleaner on coins. First soak them in olive oil, then vibrate them...

I scrounge around architectural and engineering offices for their old ultrasonic pen cleaners, usually pick them up for next to nothing. A bonus is if they have the cleaning solution, that works very well for coins as well....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread