1867 Indian and a history lesson

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It was a heater today but I managed to find some shade at the site where recently I found an 1838 large cent. In that shade I found what turned out to be the best coin of the day, an 1867 Indian head penny. I haven't checked the kids' books yet, but I'm pretty sure this is the first of that date that I've found. I know I have 68 and 69. The other day, at the same site, I found what looks to be some kind of token with "M.K." stamped on it. I didn't give that a whole lot of thought, but when I found another today with "P.S." on it and a larger one with no stamp but a hole I thought I better look into the matter. My title indicates a history lesson, but I'm not giving one; I hope someone can teach me, and others, what these were for. Would they have been some medium of exchange? The stamped ones are about the size of a quarter, the holed one a little larger (as you can see). This has been an interesting spot, and today I met the man who owns the property on which the homestead itself once sat. We have good reason to believe that there's a privy or several so I hope to find that someday as well!

Attachments

• 67indian 001 (Small).jpg
    67indian 001 (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 67indian 002 (Small).jpg
    67indian 002 (Small).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 67indian 003 (Small).jpg
    67indian 003 (Small).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 5

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's weird but yesterday I found a blank token like yours now I know what it was for. I think their used like chits to show who has a tool or item

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread