1868 Shield Nickel, silver spoon, silver thimble, US Button

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out detecting for the first time this year...here is what my friends and I found:

Not sure if the button is CW or not but it says US on the front and United states on the back. Had a blast in the woods at a real old farmstead!

HH!
Ang

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 967
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 695
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 732
Upvote 2
OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some info from Albert's button book. That is a nice find as well as the other stuff. Looks like your button is GI 70B.
Some nice finds made by some nice finders. Y'all look like you were having fun. Go have some more and post the results so we armchair hunters can drool over them!

Attachments

• US button.jpg
    US button.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 286
  • US button 2.jpg
    US button 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 276
OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyrffytr1 said:
Here is some info from Albert's button book. That is a nice find as well as the other stuff. Looks like your button is GI 70B.
Some nice finds made by some nice finders. Y'all look like you were having fun. Go have some more and post the results so we armchair hunters can drool over them!

This is great information! You guys are great!! Thanks much for adding the picture; we now know what the button is, Linda will be excite to know! We will be sure to post more finds to keep you all interested...going to another old spot tomorrow afternoon, I'm taking my friend's 12-yr old girl, she is siked about going detecting and is anxious for her Dad to buy an XLT! More pics to come!

Ang

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AlaskaAng said:
fyrffytr1 said:

This is great information! You guys are great!! Thanks much for adding the picture; we now know what the button is, Linda will be excite to know! We will be sure to post more finds to keep you all interested...going to another old spot tomorrow afternoon, I'm taking my friend's 12-yr old girl, she is siked about going detecting and is anxious for her Dad to buy an XLT! More pics to come!

Ang

We are going to try her grandmothers very old house yard in town...should be fun!

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AlaskaAng said:
Wallhangers said:
Looks like a fun hunt with friends. Nice finds, especially the button and shield nickle. I have found a few shields but none in that good of condition. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Nice buck BTW! Hey, we went through your neck of the woods on Tue/Wed, went up to Muskegon looking for an RV!
Ang
Thanks, I actually took the buck this last season from your neck of the woods...lol. I was hunting just North of Rushville in Schuyler County when I got him ( I guess that would be more central Ill.). Were you looking at a used RV? We live just north of the RV Capitol of the World...Elkhart, Indiana :)

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wallhangers said:
AlaskaAng said:
Wallhangers said:
Looks like a fun hunt with friends. Nice finds, especially the button and shield nickle. I have found a few shields but none in that good of condition. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Nice buck BTW! Hey, we went through your neck of the woods on Tue/Wed, went up to Muskegon looking for an RV!
Ang
Thanks, I actually took the buck this last season from your neck of the woods...lol. I was hunting just North of Rushville in Schuyler County when I got him ( I guess that would be more central Ill.). Were you looking at a used RV? We live just north of the RV Capitol of the World...Elkhart, Indiana :)

Actually we were looking at new Toyhaulers (5th wheel) so we can take our toys with us...USAF retired and loving it! Yeah, there are some big bucks in IL, especially in our area. I have 7 acres and actually found a full skelaton of a 9 pt buck! I kept the head & rack and plan on hanging it as a european mount! It was real nice, only a small area that had been chewed on. Yours looks non-typical but I could be wrong!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out detecting for the first time this year...here is what my friends and I found:

Not sure if the button is CW or not but it says US on the front and United states on the back. Had a blast in the woods at a real old farmstead!

HH!
Ang

It’s a Pre-Civil War Great Coat Button which is a GREAT button to find. I found my first 1867 Shield the other day great feeling. Congratulations on a mind blowing hunt in my book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread