1869 school house, now a house

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I had driven by this old school house that is a home a bunch of times. It has a sign at the top saying "District 16, 1869, so and so school"

I had left the owner a couple of notes to call me since nobody was home the times I went. He finally called, had been away and he is a nice old guy. When I told him about detecting he said he had detected the area and he seemed a little concerned about telling me how much he found, but I could tell it was a lot the way he said "the Indian heads come out in pretty bad shape, but the Liberty quarters and other silver looks great." I know no matter what he says he couldn't have covered the whole area. He said he was interested in checking it out again and might get a better detector. I didn't want to bug him right away, but I will go back soon now that he knows me a little and offer to help him and that way I can do all the digging and make it easier on him. I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Upvote 0

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
Glad to hear from ya.... Where ya been....? A hunted out site is always good
for a few more ...... I've hunted my backyard so many times that the grass has
stopped growing.... but... I still get a supprise each time. Hope you get to
hunt his place..... Keep us posted...... HH BRINK

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks to both of you and thanks for pointing out 600 posts, I hadn't realized. To answer the other question, I have been traveling a bunch for work, but now I am around for a while and plan to do some more detecting. I agree, old private homes are great sites and most haven't been detected.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My house is an old school house from 1856. I think it has been searched a lot before we moved in. I did find a 1911 wheat and a 1865 2 cent error coin. You should find something of value, let us know.

HH!!

Attachments

• digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 282
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 230
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Well, I stopped by again today and met him, an older guy, for the first time (since we talked on the phone). I was very nice and offered to do all the digging if we searched his yard together and of course he could keep everything since it's his yard. He was nice enought, but told me he's a "longer" and would rather do it on his own. Oh well, I was salivating looking at that old school yard thinking of all the great stuff there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread