1870 Ammo box with brass shotgun shells?

countryqt

Greenie
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello first off thank you for allowing me on the forums.

I found this old wooden box in a basement of a home we cleaned out. The box is stamped what looks like Wheat's Folding Cover Pat Oct. 4th 1870. It has 41 brass shot shells inside. Most say U.M.C. Co. No. 10. The other says Winchester No. 10. Anyone have any clue what this find could be? And does it have any value or is it garbage food.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this

http://i41.tinypic.com/15qop4o.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2ywsrra.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2gtr8xx.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/292xvr5.jpg

OP
OP
C

countryqt

Greenie
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is it definitely a ammo box? I cannot find any information on Wheat's Folding Cover, i have googled until I was blue in the face O.o

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way those hulls fit in there I'd call it an ammo box. I'm not sure on the name but maybe one of the other members might recognize it. I'll look more after work tonight if noone else figures it out.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not originally an ammo box. Wheat's Folding cover was designed for a sewing machine. Your has been cleverly repurposed into a really cool ammo box.

DCMatt

Attachments

• wheatscover.jpg
    wheatscover.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

countryqt

Greenie
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well darn, I can never get lucky and find anything worth much LOL. Thanks for the information

Upvote 0

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't say it's not worth much. It's an example of antique innovation. I was you I'd pull out the brass and polish the wood (or at the least, get the dust off) and put the aged brass back inside. A very nice show piece, imho.

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a period shotgun and I would have killed to have those for display with it!

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Cool piece! It has value. How much, I don't know, but I would expect it to fetch $100 or more on ebay if it was cleaned up and looking good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

countryqt

Greenie
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool piece! It has value. How much, I don't know, but I would expect it to fetch $100 or more on ebay if it was cleaned up and looking good.

I tried ebay they said I could not sell the brass on there just the box BOO

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Countryqt wrote:
> Well darn, I can never get lucky and find anything worth much LOL.

Countryqt, in addition to the Wheat's Folding Cover wooden case's value:
The ALL-BRASS shotgun shells marked "UMC Co. No. 10" (meaning, 10-gauge) were made
in the latter-1800s to about 1910... and they are worth at least $8 each, if sold individually at retail.
Looks like you've got 20 or more of them.
Although you can't sell ammunition on Ebay, the owner of oldammo.com (who is a dealer of
antique cartridges) would probably be interested in buying them at a wholesale price.
THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

countryqt

Greenie
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way you can post pics of the different headstamps?

Nice find!
Doug

35ndafn.jpg

2mnkqw3.jpg

Also I put them on Ebay and they called me and said I could not sell the brass even though they were empty because they could be re-used. They ended today was not on but 3 hours and already had bids

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Wonder why they let those other auctions proceed and pulled yours? Lame. Drip some super glue down in the primer hole of each shell, then try again saying the primer holes have been filled with cyanoacrylate so that they can't be re-used and are purely for decorative purposes. This should keep ebay happy and if someone really wanted to, they can dissolve the cyanoacrylate. I highly doubt the folks who would want this piece will want to reload them anyway.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those shells have never been cleaned, and they were black powder loads. People that shoot black powder cartridges understand that they should be cleaned after shooting. The salts involve in the powder residue don't do the empty brass any good. If you clean them, they will still be stained, but the people who know will be inclined to pay more. To clean my brass I use tri-sodium phosphate dissolved in water, a little stronger than what's called for, and if you have a brush scrub the inside, rinse well, and they will probably bring a little more money. The picture that showed them unwashed and dirty, I personally wouldn't bid on them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread