Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this framed picture of a fighter pilot for $1 at a church swap sale today:

20230610_174214.jpg

Opened up the frame later at home to see if there was a name or any other identifying information for him, but instead found this even older photograph hidden inside:
20230610_174228.jpg

20230610_225044.jpg

The tintype is 8.5" × 6" and depicts a man and woman dressed in the style of the post-Civil War period (Reconstruction Era).

My theory is the modern descendants of these people did not know what to do with the tintype so they put it inside the picture frame with the newer photo to keep is safe from further damage.

The pilot may be a descendant of the two people in the tintype. The photo of the pilot was taken at Buford Studio located on 2213 Broad Street in Tuscaloosa Alabama.

20230610_174239.jpg

It's only speculation, but the tintype may also be from Tuscaloosa if the pilot is their relative, possibly son or grandson. I'm not certain but he appears to be a First World War pilot in which case he may be the son of the couple in the tintype. If he is a World War Two pilot he could be a grandson. Wonder if there are any photographic records of all the fighter pilots from Tuscaloosa.

Upvote 28

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a pretty cool discovery and certainly some time (era) between the photos.
Could be sentimental thing where the Tin type photo was the (Grand) Parents of the pilot.
There's a likeness in the gent's faces.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this framed picture of a fighter pilot for $1 at a church swap sale today:

View attachment 2088329

Opened up the frame later at home to see if there was a name or any other identifying information for him, but instead found this even older photograph hidden inside:
View attachment 2088330
View attachment 2088335
The tintype is 8.5" × 6" and depicts a man and woman dressed in the style of the post-Civil War period (Reconstruction Era).

My theory is the modern descendants of these people did not know what to do with the tintype so they put it inside the picture frame with the newer photo to keep is safe from further damage.

The pilot may be a descendant of the two people in the tintype. The photo of the pilot was taken at Buford Studio located on 2213 Broad Street in Tuscaloosa Alabama.

View attachment 2088332
It's only speculation, but the tintype may also be from Tuscaloosa if the pilot is their relative, possibly son or grandson. I'm not certain but he appears to be a First World War pilot in which case he may be the son of the couple in the tintype. If he is a World War Two pilot he could be a grandson. Wonder if there are any photographic records of all the fighter pilots from Tuscaloosa.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions