1875-S Seated Liberty Dime

D

doyboy

Hey, guys, I decided to go on a short hunt today. Blitz and Zoyboy were going on a scouting mission, or so they told me they were going to. The 2 boys missed out on this one! Well, I decided to go to the large park in town. I found 3 Indian Head cents here earlier in the year, so I knew there was more to be found. My 1st find was a button that read at "Nickel". It was 3 inches deep. It has a small loop(shank) on the back of it. It looks to be late 1800s-early 1900s.

After the button, I found a few newer coins which I tossed into the bushes. About 2 hours into my hunt, I decided to hit another area of the park. This area showed a lot of promise. I was swinging my detector along a row of trees when I got a nice reading. The signal read at "Dime", but a small piece of trash near it made the signal not totally "smooth" sounding. It pinpointed at 4", so this one showed promise! I got down on my knee, dug a small hole, and placed the dirt on a towel. After that, I put my Vibra Probe over the dug-out dirt - that was when I saw the silver edge of a coin. I picked it up and wiped a little dirt off of it, and that was when I saw what I had found. It was an 1875-S Seated Liberty dime! I now have 3 Seated Liberty dimes this year (1854, 1875, 1875-S) ;)!

So, Blitz and Zoyboy, am I an idiot for doing this park? Blitz and Zoyboy's words, "You are wasting your time." Ha ha ha, not bloody likely!

Big Bsco, you are catching me on the Indian Heads! I still have 41!

Attachments

• 1875-S.jpg
    1875-S.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 1875-S reverse.jpg
    1875-S reverse.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing quite like seeing silver peeking out from the soil... especially when it's older silver like a Barber or a seated.

Just goes to show, it doesn't hurt to follow your instincts when picking a place to hunt.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that nice seated dime! I've only got one so far this, an 1876 in XF to AU. But I might be able to catch you there as my buddy has quite a few mid 1800s house sites locked in for some hunting once the fields get plowed.

41-37... My finds for today made it interesting! :)

scoutjim99

Sep 2, 2005
Greenville NOrth Craolina
Great find . there are two varieties listed in th Red Book. Total mintage includes 9,070,000. listed as Variety 4. And Wlater Breen list $ Varieties for that date/ and mintmark i cant see the photos well enough to attribute for you

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Congrats on the dime doyboy. I'm still waiting on pulling one of those outta the ground.

Funkman

OP
OP
D

doyboy

Here is another pic of the reverse.

Attachments

• DSCF0417[1].JPG
    DSCF0417[1].JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 360

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats of the dime find. Back in the early 80's I figured the most likely old coin find in parks would be the dime. I bought the deepest machine of that day and hunted following a chalk line. Everybody said that park was hunted out and worthless. I took about 7 or 8 beautiful Barber Dimes and maybe 20 Mercs out of an area not much more than 20x30 feet.

My point is this, I think the number one great find anywhere in the U.S. today is still the dime. Today's deep machines can get a solid signal on them at that 5 to 9 inch level where most are today.

I'm mostly a relic hunter but if I wanted coins I'd take a super deep machine into the oldest/biggest and most "hunted out" city parks I could find and hunt slowly following a line. I'm sure there are many seated and bust dimes to be found.

Using this method would also yield some $1 gold pieces if the discrimination where set low enough.

Badger

OP
OP
D

doyboy

Picture of obverse.

Attachments

• DSCF0412[1].JPG
    DSCF0412[1].JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 252

JerV3

Gold Member