Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A two-fur!!! Congratulations on finding TWO great coins and for making the banner! :) Breezie

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT 1877-----JUST LIKE FINDING A $600.00 BILL ----CONGRATS !!!!

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
That my friends.,. Is what dreams are made of!

thewoodboys

Greenie
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! I would sell as is! Never know what could happen if you go sending it off anywhere. Beautiful coin though.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.
eric is correct, dont do no more to it and send it to ngc for cleaning and grading
banner find:icon_thumright:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You certainly had an amazing day in the field back in November Bob! :occasion14:
I particularly like the 1876 & 1889 Seated Dimes, they both look to be in decent shape too!

Congrats again on all your finds!
Dave

Attachments

• 1876 Seated Dime.JPG
    1876 Seated Dime.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 1889 Seated Dime.JPG
    1889 Seated Dime.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 299

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love those IHs....and it's in great shape

OP
OP
rj35pj

rj35pj

Oct 17, 2007
East Central Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
E-trac,Omniprobe
Here they are, I dug one yesterday and the second today about 300 ft apart! Both have full Libertys and look like they were new when they were lost. So far this field has given up 21 coins including 4 seated dimes, one mercury dime, an 1853 silver 3 cent, 1861 and 63 fatty indians, and a 1867 semi-key date indian. It is the field that keeps on giving!!
View attachment 701821 View attachment 701823
HH
Bob

UPDATE: I sent both 1877 pennies to NGC and they returned them ungraded and not slabbed and said they were "damaged". After over a hundred years in the ground I would think so.
I then sent them to ANACS who said they would grade them and I got them back yesterday. Both were graded as "corroded 40VF details" and were slabbed. I am very happy with their determination.
Thanks,
Bob

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy to see you are happy

UPDATE: I sent both 1877 pennies to NGC and they returned them ungraded and not slabbed and said they were "damaged". After over a hundred years in the ground I would think so.
I then sent them to ANACS who said they would grade them and I got them back yesterday. Both were graded as "corroded 40VF details" and were slabbed. I am very happy with their determination.
Thanks,
Bob

I have heard the [Certification Services] will not aceppt [dug] coins now I know for sure: thank's for the info. I now know where to send my coinage for a grade/authticicy. 'Just in case I know there is the -CAC-"Collectors Acceptance Corporation" This Co. I believe [Grades the Graders] what this has to do with dug coins I do not know:icon_scratch: See the chapter on Certification Services; In the book Grading Coins By Photographs : By Q . David Bowres .retail price 19,95 U.S. .This book has helped me in estimating the grade of my coins [dug or not] Davers:icon_thumright:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the 3rd party graders should have a designation like"genuine" "excavated" with a "details" grade. I think a lot more detectorists would submit their copper coins if this were the case. I think a coin that is intact with a nice patina should rate higher than the negative adjectives used indicate, i.e "damaged" "corroded". I think a bent scraped or really obviously "damaged" coin is less attractive than a nice dug one. That said I think it's funny when some of us (not me :) ) clean a silver coin that is dug and then expect it to get a good grade. Saw that in the latest Best Finds or whatever it's called issue from Western and Eastern Treasures magazine. This key date Barber was returned "cleaned AU details" When it says "details" it means what it WOULD have graded but for the reason stated only has the details for it (like if damaged or cleaned) I think the 1877's deserve a better "details" grade though: look EF to me. RJ I hope I find a bean field like that I hope I am as lucky...I live in Bloomington IN if you ever want to come down for a hunt or vice versa!(contact me here or [email protected] Have a few good finds down this way...Loved the W&ET article too!
I have heard the [Certification Services] will not aceppt [dug] coins now I know for sure: thank's for the info. I now know where to send my coinage for a grade/authticicy. 'Just in case I know there is the -CAC-"Collectors Acceptance Corporation" This Co. I believe [Grades the Graders] what this has to do with dug coins I do not know:icon_scratch: See the chapter on Certification Services; In the book Grading Coins By Photographs : By Q . David Bowres .retail price 19,95 U.S. .This book has helped me in estimating the grade of my coins [dug or not] Davers:icon_thumright:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a relic guy, not a coin guy. Obviously there's something very special about that date? Somebody please inform the ignorant . . .

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW..1877 with full liberty...Outstanding...love them seated coins to...:occasion14:

GuitarGuy

Apr 20, 2013
East Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a relic guy, not a coin guy. Obviously there's something very special about that date? Somebody please inform the ignorant . . .

Very low mintage coin.

Mintage - Circulation strikes: 852,500
Proofs: est. 1,000
Designer: James B. Longacre
Diameter: 19 millimeters
Metal content:Copper - 95% - Tin and Zinc - 5%
Weight: 3.11 grams
Mintmark: None (for Philadelphia) below the bow of the wreath on the reverse

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. I had some older ones and other coins I've found on the CW battlefield, but I realize now it has less to do with age, and more to do with numbers struck. Thanks you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread