Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent the night chasing iffy signals at my favorite park. I dug a lot of trash but one signal I took a chance on ended up being a 1877 seated dime! I also dug some crusty wheats and a crusty Indian tonight. The sterling ring and charm are from a different park a few nights ago.

CC11DD2A-BEEC-4D16-9483-C5A9313319EA.jpeg
2942EB72-D554-4966-8721-126FDE2295D1.jpeg
AFBF9077-A813-451B-AF1B-EE221D70396D.jpeg

Upvote 43

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iffy signals with which machine? The 800? I get lots of them and don't have a great read on the machine yet compared to the CTX/Explorer class. I get repeatable signals right and left, but not at 90 degrees. What's your take on these? Often turns out to be old nails.

I'm surprised that seated dime was iffy. Was there iron nearby? Or was it really deep barely within range?

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it was with the 800 with the 6 inch coil. It was probably 7 or 8 inches down. There was likely other trash near by but the dime was the only thing to come out of the hole.

Sometimes, its not just the repeatable signals at 90 degrees but signals that
have acutely high tones but don’t repeate.

This dime specifically gave a tight wavelength signal. It wasn’t so notable at 90 degrees.

I wish there was a silver bullet....

All that wisdom aside, I dug Way More trash then treasure tonight....

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found the 800 will repeat right/left on things the CTX/Explorer won't repeat on, but maybe only hit one way, but won't repeat at 90 degrees. I have yet to dig anything that won't at least repeat somewhat right/left at a single position. Have you found anything that wouldn't minimally repeat right/left in a single position?

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found the 800 will repeat right/left on things the CTX/Explorer won't repeat on, but maybe only hit one way, but won't repeat at 90 degrees. I have yet to dig anything that won't at least repeat somewhat right/left at a single position. Have you found anything that wouldn't minimally repeat right/left in a single position?

Last year I was walking to a spot in the same park. I was mindlessly swinging the coil as I went and suddenly had a beautiful tone that stopped me in my tracks. I turned back around and couldn’t find the tone. After backing up a step or two and repositioning I found the tone again but could only get it at very limited window of attack. I believe I could get that signal in both directions but a slight position change would make it completely vanish. It was a Barber quarter that was only about 4 inches down. That was proof positive for me of the capabilities of the 6 inch coil in heavy trash.

I think most signals with the 800 that end up being good targets will repeat left and right in a given position but are not necessarily always obvious dig signals. I’ve dug coins that were bouncy, faint & weak and/or uneven from left to right.

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin. The front looks great but the back has taken a beatin.
I have the 600 and get ghost signals all the time also. I'll get a nice tone and then it will disappear. Sometimes it will come back as a faint tone. When I dig these up the majority of the time is trash, bent nails.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.....

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All excellent finds- Congrats!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Last year I was walking to a spot in the same park. I was mindlessly swinging the coil as I went and suddenly had a beautiful tone that stopped me in my tracks. I turned back around and couldn’t find the tone. After backing up a step or two and repositioning I found the tone again but could only get it at very limited window of attack. I believe I could get that signal in both directions but a slight position change would make it completely vanish. It was a Barber quarter that was only about 4 inches down. That was proof positive for me of the capabilities of the 6 inch coil in heavy trash.

I think most signals with the 800 that end up being good targets will repeat left and right in a given position but are not necessarily always obvious dig signals. I’ve dug coins that were bouncy, faint & weak and/or uneven from left to right.
I used my 6” coil on my 600 last summer in old city parks and I was amazed at the things it sniffed out.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love all the silver, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Seated Dime and other silver goodies!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet dime and good finds looks like your doing pretty goo. I need to get out myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread