1878 D Morgan

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
Our economy is a killer these days. someone lost but my son won. A lady came into the gas station my son works at to day and bought 3.05 in gas. She used a Morgan and an Ike . My son told her the morgan was worth more but she said I don't care, just give me 3 in gas. I have not seen it yet, but he says it is in real good condition

Upvote 0

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
ao the lady didnt pay $3.05, but $2.00 hoping the person working the register would know that the coin was more valuable than face...thats weird...altho ur son made out like a bandit in the end :laughing9:
keep it up and hh!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rakattack said:
Philmont_709n2 said:
thats a pretty dang nice surprise! a $30 + coin for a $1

Actually, it's more like a $15+ coin.

Either way, very nice find!

In silver yes, to collectors (depending on shape) it is close to or exceeds $30.00. Sliders are going for almost $20.00 on E-Fee
right now.

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
FreedomUIC said:
Rakattack said:
Philmont_709n2 said:

In silver yes, to collectors (depending on shape) it is close to or exceeds $30.00. Sliders are going for almost $20.00 on E-Fee
right now.

Then again it's feebay, people overbid on auctions all the time :laughing7:

Wouldn't touch a common date for more than $15, you should make it your policy too. It can turn quite profitable.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rakattack said:
FreedomUIC said:
Rakattack said:
Philmont_709n2 said:

right now.

Wouldn't touch a common date for more than $15, you should make it your policy too. It can turn quite profitable.

Only if you can find them......Which is next to impossible.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The unknowing believe their common date Morgans are worth hundreds, if not thousands, each. They will take them to their grave. ffd

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
The unknowing believe their common date Morgans are worth hundreds, if not thousands, each. They will take them to their grave. ffd

I usually pay right around 25.00 for a BUNC or 30 dollars for a VAM (My next collection).

If they are slabbed (Preferably by NGC), I pay a little more but no more that 50% of what NGC says they are worth.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rakattack said:
FreedomUIC said:
Rakattack said:
Philmont_709n2 said:

right now.

This is true...go on ebay and see what a 1lb copper bar cost..way over copper prices...way over

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few months ago on e-bay I bid on a 1900 O morgan dollar, BU condition. got it for $30. Turns out, it's an O/CC which is worth a pretty penny. I couldn't beleive it, some people don't know about errors and sell coins for way to little. I'll take it any day. Probly won't ever have that happen again.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timbobwey said:
a few months ago on e-bay I bid on a 1900 O morgan dollar, BU condition. got it for $30. Turns out, it's an O/CC which is worth a pretty penny. I couldn't beleive it, some people don't know about errors and sell coins for way to little. I'll take it any day. Probly won't ever have that happen again.

That is absolutely correct. I have several of the 1900 O/CC as they are called. They actually took a CC die and repunched it to an O.

You can tell fairly easily what you have, the O does not have much in the middle as the sides are quite thick compared to a normal
New Orleans Mint Dollar.

Wait until you get to the VAM's :thumbsup:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. Teller at my bank said a lady came in a few days ago and deposited 10 Morgan dollars. The tellers ate them up before they hit the drawer!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Nice score. Teller at my bank said a lady came in a few days ago and deposited 10 Morgan dollars. The tellers ate them up before they hit the drawer!

Wow..Im seriuosly thinking of a Career change :laughing9: :laughing9:

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
very nice, this been the one coin i want. so hard to come by, and would have had one but i switched shifts at work and other guy got it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread