188 year old coin

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Hi guys.
Today I had to go deliver a bag of dog food to a really nice old lady who has been coming into my pet shop for over 20 years. I knew that she lived in a really old town and, of course I asked her how old her house was. ::) When she told me it is over 100 years old I "had" to ask her if she would mind if when I dropped off her dog food ( that her grandson normally picks up ::) ) if I searched her lawn with my new metal detector.
She just laughed at me and told me "of course" I was more then welcome but, I was not going to find anything. She gave me her address and told me I could not miss it for, it is right across the street from the old cemetery.
When I pulled up sure enough there was an "old" cemetery across the street with many head stones dating back into the early 1800's. I rang the door bell and, she came out with a smile as always and, asked me how much for the dog food.
After taking care of the business stuff I "had" to play with her little Boston Terrier for a few minutes. Even though the beautiful sunny day and, that yard was yelling for me to get my butt out there. But, I had to make sure I was not rude and, just ran out to play. Twenty minutes or so later I again asked her if it was ok to use my detector in her front and side yard. She just laughed and, said go ahead there's nothing out there.
When I drove up I spotted the old cloths line and, a nice little walk way I had to go to. I tried hard not to "run" to my truck and, get my Etrac fired up and get started. I make a bee line to the cloths line and got the biggest let down you can imagine. The Etrac let out a nice sound and, good numbers and I'm thinking this is going to be a great day. When I pushed the knife into the ground it went a whole 2 inches :'( . This is not what I was hoping would happen. After just a couple of seconds I had a junk Lincoln penny in my pouch.
I continue to scan around the cloths line and kept sticking my knife into the ground only to have it stop at about 2" still. :( I head towards the front of the house thinking that maybe the ground will be better up there.
Again I stick the knife into the ground only to have it go maybe 4". I get a nice high tone and, the numbers 12/46 on the Etrac. Thinking these are the numbers for half dollars I cut a plug and take my Garrett pinpointer to see where the item could be. The pinpointer gave a nice sound and vibration off the the side of the plug a little. I take the knife and start to open the side of the plug up a little and see something big and silver in color.
What I saw I could not believe it was a pocket watch. I had never found one before and, even though it was not silver or gold ( but more like stainless steal ) I was super happy.
I continue to hunt the front of the house for about an hour and a half or so, and
find 18 wheat pennies and a rosie. Also, I found a really cool old metal toy plane with all of the paint on it and the prop still spins lol . I look down at my watch thinking it's time to start to head to the truck and, get back to work soon.
While working back towards the truck I get a nice high tone again this time the numbers read 13/40 but would bounce around some. I stopped and cut open a nice little plug and get out the Garret again ( if you do not have one omg ya have to get one they are great ). I stick it into the plug and see I missed it totally. It is telling me it's in the side of the plug at about 2 o'clock. Carefully I take the tip of my blade and push it above and deep past where the coin was and out pops this coin about the size of a nickle.
Being the Etrac loves to find nickles I thought I had got another one but, could not imagine why the numbers hit the way they did. ??? I take the coin and pop it into my pouch to look at later when I had more time.
I go to the back porch and ring the bell to thank her, and ask if she would mind if I came back to do the backyard next week. Of course, she smiled and told me anytime, and we also talked about the house next door that looks even older. After finding out the man who lives next door was really nice I make a note to next week ask him if I can hunt his lawn too.
When I arrive back at work I had taken my pouch into the store with me to look at my goodies while at work. And, of course I had to pull the nickle size coin out to look at it. After, washing it off with a little warm water I see this funny lady and, even funnier looking guy on the back. Then, I see the date 1821 :o and, called my wife ( who has better eyes then me ) to come see if she saw what I "thought" I saw.
Sure enough, 1821 is the date she saw too! How cool is this we both said. I made sure not to scrub or do anything to the coin not knowing what it really was.
I make a quick call to a very good friend of mine who knows everything about foreign coins and, ask him if after work he might be able to stop by and tell me what this coin is that is dated 1821. He says sure he gets off in about an hour and he can stop by.
Well it was not 15 minutes lol and, he was at my shop to see this coin. After taking one look he tells me that it's a British Farthing. We both admire how much detail is on the coin and agree it had to have been dropped in 1821-1824 at the most.
After talking for a few he tells me lol he has to get back to work. And, we make plans to go out detecting next week.
I had to share this with you folks. I know this post was a little long and, I hope I did not bore anyone with my long winded details of today's hunt and my 188 year old coin. I hope you enjoy the scan of the coin.
Thank you all for looking :)
HH
Dan

Attachments

• 1812back.jpg
    1812back.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 1821.jpg
    1821.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,264
Upvote 0

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Boring? C'mon, give me a break! I LOVE a detailed talk about what happened when, where how, this was a great segway to what all has transpired!

Great find and I can't wait to see what comes next! See if your little old lady has any sisters or cousins in the Dallas, TX area for me! :wink:

Grip

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya done good Dan...WTG!! :thumbsup:
The 1821 British Farthing has a lot of detail.
Makes you wonder just how it got there and
who droped it and why it was dropped.
Congratulations.. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
nope "nothing at all there" :wink: just like the nice old lady said

le fouilleux

Nov 22, 2008
laval quebec
Detector(s) used
ace 250 white vision soon...
i just find the same as you last week 1825

Attachments

• Photo 090.jpg
    Photo 090.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Photo 090.jpg
    Photo 090.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,070

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - Very well written. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. It made me feel as if I was there hunting with you.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
me to congrats

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Copper!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow, Nice story and great digs. I do believe that you will be back there unearthing more great finds. Congrats....jgas

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boring? Have you ever read some of my long winded posts? Maybe not, some sink down to the bottom like lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread