1881 $10 Eagle 88/88?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I got some new coins a couple of weeks ago and finally got them under the microscope today. One oddity, the 1881 $10 gold eagle looks like the 88 are over an 88. I'm sort of familiar with Longacre doubling (thanks Huntsman53!) and this doesn't look like that to me. A cursory check of the 'ole interweb didn't yield any additional information. Attached are a couple of photos. Any thoughts at all are appreciated. The coin is otherwise unremarkable, minus some decent die cracks on the reverse.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 110

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty cool! Sorry, not even a guess here.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither, but that is awesome and absolutely see the 88/88 ! Will hang around until the experts chime in! Good luck on the research hunt!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Twitch,

Sorry I did not get on the assessment of your' coin earlier! Kinda been sidetracked with eBay Auctions, going to Estate Sales and looking at Estate Auction items online as well as other Threads here on Treasure Net. Your' coin appears to have a Repunched Date but it does not appear to be any of the 4 known Repunched Date Varieties. There is only one Overdate for the 1881-P $10 Gold coins and it is an 1881 over an 1880 Date. It is possible that your' coin is an Overdate but it would require in-depth analysis of each digit of the Date and the areas surrounding them to see if there is left over evidence of the former digits. All of the Varieties carry a premium over the one's with normal Dates in the same grade and the Overdate is more sought after and valuable. I am leaning toward your's being a Repunched Date but even if it is an Overdate, it is a new Variety which needs to be attributed and recorded. I recommend sending the coin to a Variety Coin Attributer with Coneca to start with identifying what you have and then it will be recorded in the records. Once the coin is returned and you have the Letter of Attribution from Coneca stating which Variety it is or that it is a new Variety which should include a designation, then if you wish, you can send the coin and a copy of the Letter of Attribution to PCGS or NGC, have the coin certified...graded and have not only the grade noted on the holder's label but can also have the (Attribution) Variety noted on the label as well. I think it only costs an additional $18 to have the Attribution added to the label. See the link below for Attribution.

Congrats on obtaining a nice Variety coin!

http://conecaonline.org/content/attribution_services.html

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Twitch,

Sorry I did not get on the assessment of your' coin earlier! Kinda been sidetracked with eBay Auctions, going to Estate Sales and looking at Estate Auction items online as well as other Threads here on Treasure Net. Your' coin appears to have a Repunched Date but it does not appear to be any of the 4 known Repunched Date Varieties. There is only one Overdate for the 1881-P $10 Gold coins and it is an 1881 over an 1880 Date. It is possible that your' coin is an Overdate but it would require in-depth analysis of each digit of the Date and the areas surrounding them to see if there is left over evidence of the former digits. All of the Varieties carry a premium over the one's with normal Dates in the same grade and the Overdate is more sought after and valuable. I am leaning toward your's being a Repunched Date but even if it is an Overdate, it is a new Variety which needs to be attributed and recorded. I recommend sending the coin to a Variety Coin Attributer with Coneca to start with identifying what you have and then it will be recorded in the records. Once the coin is returned and you have the Letter of Attribution from Coneca stating which Variety it is or that it is a new Variety which should include a designation, then if you wish, you can send the coin and a copy of the Letter of Attribution to PCGS or NGC, have the coin certified...graded and have not only the grade noted on the holder's label but can also have the (Attribution) Variety noted on the label as well. I think it only costs an additional $18 to have the Attribution added to the label. See the link below for Attribution.

Congrats on obtaining a nice Variety coin!

http://conecaonline.org/content/attribution_services.html

Frank
And that's why you're the best. I figured out that it's a repunched date but couldn't find any of the additional information you listed. Thanks for the education. I'm going to join the local coin club (in St Louis) and will bring this coin and the half dollar with the staple in it to the meeting next month and see if I can figure out how to get coins submitted to the various agencies.

Thanks again.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You can join PCGS and/or NGC or both and submit your' coins directly to them. It is that simple and you don't have to chase tail (i.e. spend countless hours making phone calls) to find a Coin Dealer that submits coins to one or the other and don't have to pay the Coin Dealer to be a Middle Man in the submission process! I have included links below to start the process for both PCGS and NGC

Join The PCGS Collectors Club

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit-coins/how-to-submit.aspx

Good luck!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread