1881 CC Morgan- Should I slab it?

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a hold of an 1881 cc Morgan today for quite a good deal. Just wondering what you coin collectors think; should I slab it? I know that the difference between an MS62 and MS64 is not that much, but what about just to prove authenticity? Personally I think it's between an MS63 and 64, but not sure if I should spend the money.

IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
For it to be worth slabbing, it would have to be at least MS 65. I just don't see it, sorry.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to keep it, its totally your own call. I know some people who would slab every coin they own if they had a chance and then others who break coins out of their slabs because they can't stand them. If its for your own collection its completely up to you.

If you are selling it, it depends on who you are selling it to. If you are selling it online, I'd say slab it for sure because many people are hesitant at spending hundreds of dollars on a raw, non-bullion coin on eBay. And the $30 that it costs to slab it will be made up by the profit you can get from people who bid and know that it is genuine. If you are selling it to another collector or dealer, it depends on who it is. If its a dealer who primarily deals in slabbed coins, I'd say slab it because they might be more willing to pay $$$ because its already slabbed. If its a dealer who rarely touches a slabbed coin, chances are you aren't going to get much more out of him just because its slabbed. If you're selling it to an individual, it just depends on their view of the coin, some like slabbed coins, some are alright with raw coins. Etc.

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't see it, sorry.

No reason to apologize, I don't see a 65 either! I personally like slabbed coins and think I may do it just for that reason.

Thanks for all responses!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread