1885 Austrian one Kreuzer (toasty pic included)

image-1547274203.jpg

image-1235638678.jpg

Congrats on your oldest find! Im not sure if there's any way of cleaning a corroded coin like that one though. But its still an interesting old coin.

Nice find....it's copper right, what works on copper? I have read vinegar with salt, coke, or a wire brush. Don't know if you have researched anything but let us know what you try if you do.

Awesome find in a cent roll! I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but it is a common date coin, maybe worth a quarter or two. I would try soaking it in acetone and then try various other methods as stated above, you don't have much to lose, it's crusty to begin with. Let us know the outcome, good luck!
HH
Buff

Nice find....it's copper right, what works on copper? I have read vinegar with salt, coke, or a wire brush. Don't know if you have researched anything but let us know what you try if you do.

A WIRE BRUSH???!!!! ARE YOU INSANE?

I always wonder how the NCS do it, hydrogen, electrolysis!

Wire brush? I read, it helps get some little corrosion off of coins. Of course it will devalue or ruin the coin, and I'm sure that if you were at the point of using a brush, you'd think the coin really didn't have value already. I don't think I would use it unless I had to.

Calm down folks. Obviously no one is advocating taking a wire brush to a 1916-D Merc with a little tarnish. This is a heavily corroded copper coin with little value in decent condition and no numismatic value in its current condition. Putting a wire brush to this coin would be similar to using nic-a-date on a dateless buffalo. There is no value to destroy.

On Youtube I've seen some dug nickels made to look pretty decent with a brass brush.

I found one in my register at work in great shape, but was sad to find out the value is very low on these. 129 year old coin. My heart dropped though when I saw the date. My oldest coin ever found, and my only from the 1800's was the same as this one.

after 24 hrs in apple cider vinegar

Attachments

• image-3297107423.jpg
    image-3297107423.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image-620157369.jpg
    image-620157369.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 117

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back