1885-CC GSA Morgan

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The only benefit is that you have a definitive grade for future sale. Bring it ungraded into a shop and you'll be offered 60-62 prices. Sell it privately, and then you have someone knocking every perceived irregularity. When you get into the large value coins, I feel it is always beneficial to have them graded. Without the box - matching serial no., I don't see any benefit in keeping it in the GSA holder.

Whatever you decide, nice coin. Hold on to it and in 10 years, you will see an increase in market valuation.

If memory serves me correctly as I have owned quite a few GSA Morgan Silver Dollars, the plastic holder does not have a serial number on it, so the O.P. just needs to snatch a GSA Box and COA for an 1885-CC Morgan Dollar off eBay when one comes along that is cheap. There are two on eBay right not but I believe $37.99 each is a little on the high side. You can usually snatch GSA Boxes with COA's up for $20 or less but usually have to pay the shipping. Just have a GSA Box with COA to put the holdered 1885-CC Morgan Dollar in, boosts the value quite a bit and is well worth the extra cost.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately It didn’t come with the box and coa. I’m still debating wether I want to send it in or not. Doesn’t seem like there’s too much of a difference between price on a non graded one in GSA holder and ms63-64 graded. May not be worth sending it off.

Can you post closeup pic of the Obverse and Reverse of the Silver Dollar. If it has hazing over mirror or mirror-like fields and the devices (images, lettering and date) are frosted and PCGS can address the hazing issue if conserved, then the coin's value will get a really big boost.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If memory serves me correctly as I have owned quite a few GSA Morgan Silver Dollars, the plastic holder does not have a serial number on it, so the O.P. just needs to snatch a GSA Box and COA for an 1885-CC Morgan Dollar off eBay when one comes along that is cheap. There are two on eBay right not but I believe $37.99 each is a little on the high side. You can usually snatch GSA Boxes with COA's up for $20 or less but usually have to pay the shipping. Just have a GSA Box with COA to put the holdered 1885-CC Morgan Dollar in, boosts the value quite a bit and is well worth the extra cost.

You are correct. The holder doesn't have a corresponding number. The key is to make sure you get the correct replacement box (many beginners will get any box but then realize the serial number doesn't match the coin). I vaguely remember that there used to be a coin dealer in Tampa area that specialized in original government packaging. The core of their business was removing modern commemorative coins and having them graded. They consequently had a ton of boxes/COAs that they monetized.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take to a coin shop

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is authentic and is actually a VAM-3 Tilted CC, and should have some small die marks in front of the eye. It should grade around MS62 to MS63 and you should have it graded in the holder, as is. You can find a PCGS or NCG dealer and they can send it off for you. The coin is worth $675 or more but values are soft right now so looking up ebay and Heritage sold auctions will help you determine the current market value for your coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread