1887 Liberty "V" Nickel (NEW PICS ADDED) Check out the detail!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1887 Liberty "V" Nickel (NEW PICS ADDED) Check out the detail!

I was visiting an old friend in CT this weekend. He got an Ace 150 for his birthday in 2005 and never assembled it! On his property are a few old foundations and stone retaining walls. I showed him historic maps online with the old structures on them and told him I would not be his friend anymore until he let me assemble it and show him how to use it. As soon as the rain stopped this afternoon, we got out and almost immediately I found a beat up 1903 IH with my old Garrett CXIII. He had a hard time with small targets, but started pulling out large farm equipment, Axes, plows, etc. One piece of equipment says "CULTURAL WORKS, ALBANY NY"

I found the IH, an 1887 Nickel, and a large old iron safe, which unfortunately was thrown down into a ravine and opened. I wonder who opened it and how long ago and what the contents were.

Needless to say, I had to pull him away 4 hours later when the rain started. Now he has the bug.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me if there is anyway to restore nickels in this condition?

Attachments

• 1887 Nickel.jpg
    1887 Nickel.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 1887 Nickel (Reverse).jpg
    1887 Nickel (Reverse).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1887 Liberty "V" Nickel

Nice find - better date too!

HH

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

Very cool neil, it looks like '07 IS gonna be a good year

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually that is one of the best V nickels I have seen in a long time. There is nothing wrong with the condition it is in (in my opinion).

congratulations and Happy Hunting in 07!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OutBack Duo said:
Actually that is one of the best V nickels I have seen in a long time. There is nothing wrong with the condition it is in (in my opinion).

congratulations and Happy Hunting in 07!

I totally agree, that is one fine looking V-Nickel. I would not try to clean it. They usually turn to crap if you try to clean them. Please just put it in a nice folder and keep it. It looks just right the way it is!

HH, Ringfinder

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision

Nice find neil hopefully we have better luck next time :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK...I know I am probably going to take a thrashing for this.......BUT....I got tumbler for Christmas..and yeah, I put a V nickel in there. ;D I will have to say it looks much, much better too! Could hardly read the date on it before I cleaned it, but now it looks great! I let it clean for a few minutes at a time, then checked it...didn't leave it in for too long. I wouldn't try to clean a priceless piece in there, but hey, when you can barely see or read anything on the coin anyhow, ya know?

Congrats on your finds and your new huntin buddy! ;)

leep33

Dec 30, 2006
Michigan, U.S.A.

I used to collect coins and I can honestly tell you that if you clean it it will decrease its value. It's fine just the way it is and that is a great find indeed.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 1887 Liberty "V" Nickel With LIBERTY!

OK I messed with the camera settings and...I can even see the word LIBERTY. It is amazing detail. If it wasn't a dug coin, it would probably be in F-12 condition.

Attachments

• 2007_0102Image0003.JPG
    2007_0102Image0003.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 231

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
Re: 1887 Liberty "V" Nickel (NEW PICS ADDED) Check out the detail!

Neil- That is a sweet coin. WTG Dude!!

T

TreasureTales

When/if I ever become 120 years old, I hope I'm in such good condition. I would not clean it any further than you have. It's great already and the patina from being in the ground for lo these many years just adds character, IMO. The date is visible, nuff done.

Did you try detecting below the safe that was in the ravine? I'd try talking your friend into another visit and then make a beeline for the downhill side of the safe. You never know til you try. Ask your friend to join TNet so we can see his farming inplements. It's all good.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definitely a keeper! Great detail!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread