1888 IH (possibly 8 over 7?)

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out after work for an hour to a site I've been looking into over the winter. I wasn't sure how far back the site dated but I knew it dated to at least the 20's. The weather's finally cooperating around here for the last week so I gave it a try. The area was real trashy. I don't think it's ever been hunted. About a half hour into the hunt I got a good dime hit on the T2 about 9-10 inches deep. I started digging and hit a big cluster of thick roots but found a gap in between them that I could barely fit my hand in. I kept scooping with my hand and checking the hole with my pin pointer and finally pulled this beauty out. I didn't clean it until I got it home and then just lightly. The picture does not do it justice. It's in much better shape than it looks. I have it soaking in olive oil. If it turns out to be an 8 over seven, then it's definitely my best find. Thanks for reading.

John

Attachments

• indian head.jpg
    indian head.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 688
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Good luck on the clean up job, hope it turns out ok for you!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Way to go there John!
Hope it's what you think it is. I'll be watching for your update on it.
Mike

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
from what I can see I would say it could be a 8over7 but it needs to be cleaned more to be 100% sure.. Do you think it could with stand a peroxcide bathe? where you boil peroxcide in the mircowave an then drop the coin it .. if you see that the coin is really corrode then DO NOT use this method as it may damage your coin... you could probly use tooth pick an a mag glass to just pick the dirt off around the date... or another methed you could use is wet q-tips the remove dirt from the date.. Btw if you do use the Peroxcide methed you will want to bath the coin in DISTILLED water right after you take it out of the peroxcide....

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikewaz said:
Way to go there John!
Hope it's what you think it is. I'll be watching for your update on it.
Mike
Thanks Mike, I'll keep you updated and congrats on the great hunt that you, twistid and Treasurefiend had.

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ocalasix said:
looking forward to an update as well, whats the 8 over 7 mean?? restamping of date?..gregg
Yeah, restamped. There were two restamped in 1888 one is obvious the other is a little more vague. Hope this turns out to be one of them. I'll update as soon as I know for sure. HH
John.

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
from what I can see I would say it could be a 8over7 but it needs to be cleaned more to be 100% sure.. Do you think it could with stand a peroxcide bathe? where you boil peroxcide in the mircowave an then drop the coin it .. if you see that the coin is really corrode then DO NOT use this method as it may damage your coin... you could probly use tooth pick an a mag glass to just pick the dirt off around the date... or another methed you could use is wet q-tips the remove dirt from the date.. Btw if you do use the Peroxcide methed you will want to bath the coin in DISTILLED water right after you take it out of the peroxcide....
Thanks for the advice. I'm a little leary of trying the peroxide on this one. I usually use a water pick to initially clean a potentionally good coin them just soak it in olive oil. I've tried the peroxide before with mixed results so I think I'll play it safe with this. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks again. HH
John

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
dirtyJohn said:
creeper71 said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm a little leary of trying the peroxide on this one. I usually use a water pick to initially clean a potentionally good coin them just soak it in olive oil. I've tried the peroxide before with mixed results so I think I'll play it safe with this. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks again. HH
John
I was always told olive oil is bad cause it will leak oil for a long time!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I got an 1888 IH recently and it was in a little better shape, but still pretty crusty. I had the dreams, but alas, no 7 in there. I hope you can clean it up enough to see a 7... it looks like it would be really hard to tell if it has the seven when it's that corroded. Good luck and congrats on your IH!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
creeper71 said:
from what I can see I would say it could be a 8over7 but it needs to be cleaned more to be 100% sure.. Do you think it could with stand a peroxide bathe? where you boil peroxide in the microwave an then drop the coin it .. if you see that the coin is really corrode then DO NOT use this method as it may damage your coin... you could probably use tooth pick an a mag glass to just pick the dirt off around the date... or another method you could use is wet q-tips the remove dirt from the date.. Btw if you do use the Peroxide method you will want to bath the coin in DISTILLED water right after you take it out of the peroxide....
I'm 95% sure there is a 7 under that 8 here is a pic I adjusted the color to see the date better

Attachments

• IH8OVER7.JPG
    IH8OVER7.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 388
OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
creeper71 said:
from what I can see I would say it could be a 8over7 but it needs to be cleaned more to be 100% sure.. Do you think it could with stand a peroxide bathe? where you boil peroxide in the microwave an then drop the coin it .. if you see that the coin is really corrode then DO NOT use this method as it may damage your coin... you could probably use tooth pick an a mag glass to just pick the dirt off around the date... or another method you could use is wet q-tips the remove dirt from the date.. Btw if you do use the Peroxide method you will want to bath the coin in DISTILLED water right after you take it out of the peroxide....
I'm 95% sure there is a 7 under that 8 here is a pic I adjusted the color to see the date better
That's cool. I'm still cleaning it. I hope you're right

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
dirtyJohn said:
creeper71 said:
creeper71 said:
Please tell me your not using Olive oil.... it does work but one a high valued coin as this one could be I wouldn't take the risk of oil seeping from it... I would use either the hot peroxide I suggested or the tooth picks w/ mag glass an/or wet q-tips.. But back to the debate if this is a 8 over 7 with the picture I adjusted the color you can plainly see what looks to be a 7 with a 8 crudely stamped over the stem of the 7

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
dirtyJohn said:
creeper71 said:
creeper71 said:
Please tell me your not using Olive oil.... it does work but one a high valued coin as this one could be I wouldn't take the risk of oil seeping from it... I would use either the hot peroxide I suggested or the tooth picks w/ mag glass an/or wet q-tips.. But back to the debate if this is a 8 over 7 with the picture I adjusted the color you can plainly see what looks to be a 7 with a 8 crudely stamped over the stem of the 7
I am using olive oil. I don't think it matters now. Your picture enhancement had me exicited but when viewed through a jewelers glass I just don't see a seven at all. I tried something I read about on another post to use low heat to help leach out the olive oil out of coin and it seems to work. I appreciate all the help you been doing. Maybe next time I'll make that find.
Thanks again,
John

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
you may never know lol.......looks like its been soaked in bleach or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread