1889 Bayonet find with a photo of it before it was lost,how cool is that?

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Wow, last week I ran across a this photo in a local Facebook forum of the 1889 Johnstown flood. Looking into
where it was taken I started to realize the ground these soldiers were posted at may not have been disturbed due
to the very steep hillside it was on, a half mile upstream from the Johnstown's vehicular incline plane. This
afternoon,starting out along the steep hillside I quickly came to the point I figured it was, but I walked
around a little to eliminate other possible areas. I was only 40 ft of from my computer calculations where it
figured the photo was taken at. The old heart started pumping faster when I saw the site was undisturbed ! Just
above and below it a trail had been bulldozed out over the years. I found it right where the rifles are stacked
in this photo ! It was about 6 inches deep and the .50 caliber round ball was found about 10 ft above the
bayonet.
bayonet.jpg Bayonet2.jpg

Upvote 3

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice research. I am very familiar with the story of the Johnstown Flood. I'm not sure you have a bayonet there though. Maybe some experts will chime in.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They definitely had bayonets on the guns in that picture. Your piece looks like a piece of old blacksmith made iron, but does not look like a bayonet to me. You might want to post it on the What Is It forum.

monte952003

May 11, 2014
Blairsville PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
GARRETT AT Pro
GARRETT GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome finds i can remember my great grandmother telling stories about the flood she was 99 when she passed and was a child when the flood happend she always told us it washed there house a block down the street. PA Billy im from blairsville and have been researching a lot about the local area if ya ever wanna head out hit me up. Im new to metal detecting but im pretty knowledgable about the local history

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread