1889 Seated Dime leads the way...

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
A recent trip to the local Ghetto park netted a higher than normal amount of finds. 1889 seated, 1943, 1944D merc, 1960 roosy dimes '43S warnickel 1898, 1903, 1906 indians 1891, 1902 V nickels and other assorted goodies. Most of these were fairly deep in soggy root infested ground so the digging was hard, but worth it. This spot had lots of iron and trash, but the Explorer cut through it pretty well. I can only hope all future trips out there would be half this good! :D Take care and HH, Mike.

Attachments

• 30apr08finds.JPG
    30apr08finds.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike Moutray

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
ohio_ken said:
FANTASTIC hunt. I have been thinking about a trip to downtown to hit some of the older ghetto parks where most people may not want to detect at. Your post has made me think even harder about doing that.

Ken

I've hunted ghetto parks in many large cities in the past without any problems... then again I'm 6' 5" and 300 lbs. so I don't get many people messing with me. The "bad" neighborhoods here in St. Louis are in such decline that half the land around the parks are deserted, burned out buildings or empty lots. Not many of the locals use the parks except on nice weekends or evenings, and most of them have seen us out there detecting before so we aren't of much interest to them. When I do get approached, it's always someone just curious what I'm doing. I also wear my uniform from work to make me look like someone "official". Once in a great while you get kids throwing stuff at you, but they get bored easily and move on. I like hunting these old parks because the great "silver rush" of the eighties didn't reach these parks very much and there were a lot of good coins when we first started hunting there.
Good luck if you decide to try yours... I suggest trying early mornings on the weekends when all the "bad" seeds are still at home sleeping off their hangovers. HH, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread