1895 teardown trash pit produces notebook

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Drove past an empty lot where a house was freshly torn down and saw two men talking. Immediately circled around the block, stopped and approached the guys saying "I have this crazy hobby, metal dectecting, could I detect this property?" "Are either of you the contractor or owner?"

One guy was the contractor, the other the owner. The ower said sure, go ahead, let's split the finds 50-50. We talked about the 'finds' and it was agreed that if the finds were a cache of coins or something good we would split, if it were pocket change, no split.

The area was super trashy, so hard to detect. I did come across a trash pit full of glass with a lot of broken canning Mason jars. While shoveling out a load of broken glass and dirt, a metal object popped out with a small chain attached.

It turned out to be a little metal covered notebook with 3 velum type pages with writing. Wow, this was interesting. The metal covers read England on one side and Germany on the other. No dates or other information. I washed the dirt off and could see a name page and a list.

H G Tower, Henry G Tower shows up in the Denver directory in 1883 as a painter through1899. He later shows up at the address of the teardown around 1900 (as sign writer), and in 1905 (again as a painter). In 1905, Harry G Tower (student) is also listed at that address.

The list looks like a packing list. I think it was Henry's wife's packing list, which included "a coat for Harry". A facinator is a hat, I think the Ulster refers to a dress.

Other finds from this site were milk bottles, plate glass with lettering, fancy silver spoon, small terra cota bird, chinese coin, common/newer bottles, and plenty of junk.

The owner came back by and looked at the finds and didn't want any of them. I found two new pennies by the dumpster when dumping the broken glass I cleaned up for the owner, gave one to the owner as our 50-50 split, he took it, we both laughed.

Cindy

Attachments

• 2600 S Logan trash pit.JPG
    2600 S Logan trash pit.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 166
  • Notebook England.JPG
    Notebook England.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Notebook list sheet.JPG
    Notebook list sheet.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Notebook Name sheet.JPG
    Notebook Name sheet.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Logan trash pit.JPG
    Logan trash pit.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Notebook blue sheet.JPG
    Notebook blue sheet.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 1894 wool ulster pattern.jpg
    1894 wool ulster pattern.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Notebook fanned open.JPG
    Notebook fanned open.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 2
OP
OP
seychik

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curious that it says "Ulster" on one page. I'm from Ulster county in NY.

Looking up Ulster, I found a dress pattern called an Ulster that fit the time period, that is the copy of it on the first page of the post. It would make sense since the rest of the items listed look like a packing list. I would like to be 'back east' to have older sites to detect. Good luck.
Cindy

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read a What is it post, answered by DC Matt with a good picture of a chatelaine notepad: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/298364-back-after-two-heart-attacks-need-help-medalion.html

a quick check online looks like Henry's wife was Ida, died 1900. If you check with your local genealogical society, they may know if anyone is actively searching that line, which would give you a descendent who would treasure it forever. It is a fantastic piece of history, a moment in that woman's life, in her handwriting. How precious.
Tigger

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
fasinator.jpg This is one type of Fasinator. They were ornamental headwear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread