1896 McKinley Presidential Slogan Drinking glass/bottle

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I found a homestead that was abandoned in 1942 after the US Army bought all the surrounding lands for a gunnery range. At this homestead there was a visible bottle dump behind it in the woods. One of the recoveries I made was this broken glass or bottle with the base embossed with a bust of McKinley, and when I googled the slogan it is in fact a Presidential slogan bottle.

I know not of what it was when intact, but since it is such a nice piece of history I would love to have something done with the jagged edges so it can be properly displayed. Any ideas?

There is about 1.5 to almost 3 inches of glass left above the base where the embossing is and I was thinking of either making a coaster out of it or get it cut even with the lowest broken point, thus making it a shallow cup like display. However, not sure if I can cut with one of those regular glass cutting tools or not. Looking for suggestions......

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• Protection and Plenty Presidential.jpg
    Protection and Plenty Presidential.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 373

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
You could have it cut down to about 1/4 inch from bottom and make a coaster out of it or cut it flush with the bottom and put it in a shadow box.It would be a neat display!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread