1899 church find ---- Old coin I think. Is it real or fake? And what is it.....?

D

Deadshot

I was hunting the little strip of grass between the sidewalk and the road today in front of a 1899 church. Now I think that the sidewalks were put in around 1940 so I don't think that my find has been sitting there any longer than that.

I think it is a coin but I have no idea really. Found it about 5 inches down and it rang like a quarter.

One side has a cross on it and the other side looks to be a foreign language. Anyone have any ideas?

Deadshot

Attachments

• old coin.jpg
    old coin.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 640
  • old coin2.jpg
    old coin2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 623
  • old coin3.jpg
    old coin3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 611
Upvote 0
M

mattjd

Looks like it's a old spanish coin to me.

Matt

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...I agree with Matt....looks like a Spanish coin.....

Great find!!!! Congrats!!!

;)

Attachments

• coin2.JPG
    coin2.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 566

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the other side ............ ;)

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 544
OP
OP
D

Deadshot

Re: 1899 church find ---- Old coin I think. Is it real or fake? And what is it..

Thanks a ton Nana. I am begining to think that mine might be a repo but I am not sure yet.

Deadshot

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
if its a reproduction it would have to be an old one being that you found it at 5 inches. it is a spanish design.i wonder who you could take it to for an honest appraisal?

OP
OP
D

Deadshot

Re: 1899 church find ---- Old coin I think. Is it real or fake? And what is it..

hollowpointred said:
if its a reproduction it would have to be an old one being that you found it at 5 inches. it is a spanish design.i wonder who you could take it to for an honest appraisal?

I really dont know. I think I will just hold onto it for a while till the chance comes to find out if it is real or not. I am sorta thinking it is fake though because I believe that the coins that look like this were made of Silver or Gold, and I know it is neither.

Still a great addition to the treasure box. AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS! lol ! ;)

Deadshot

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,
Just weigh yours and give this info to Deadshot. If it's close, then it probably isn't a fake.
deadshot, get some electrolosis done on this and clean it up. It's probably a very nice coin under all that junk.
Then repost the new pics. 8)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Great find, wether fake or real :) It looks like its made of that brittle whitish/grey metal that crumbles easily so carefull.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a spanish "Cob" of some sort,,,

not worth much in that cond.

still a cool find though!

HH

Lonewolfe

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
That's the beauty of this hobby, the mystery of the dig, because no matter what it registers, you never really know what you're gonna find until you dig it. Nice find...

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Deadshot, no matter what it is made of, it is a really cool find. Congrats...Lance

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

They made coins out of copper back in the day. Don't you think it is fake unless an expert tells you it is.

Nice find!
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread