18k gold, old coin and a little silver (very little)

Foiled Again

Oct 30, 2006
Thunder Bay Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Explorer SE Pro
Greetings from the Great Frozen North:

Finally got time to start cleaning up my finds from last summer. It was not the greatest year for finding time to hunt but I did make a few interesting finds. Bought the SE PRO in mid July so I am still on the learning curve with it. Here is my best find so far, found with the DFX in a park while the ground was still frozen this spring. The areas under the big trees was the only area thawed out so I was limited to hunting there. Decided to dig all the pull tabs, glad I did.

goldring.jpg

It is marked <750> with the makers mark worn off and unreadable. I took it to a jeweller and asked him to test the white stones and if they were diamonds, I would pay for an appraisal. They are not diamonds so I didn't follow through with the $45.00 appraisal. He would only tell me that it was European, most likely Italian, 18k and that the sapphire was real. He said the white stones could be any of a number of stones including CZs, white sapphires etc but that was all he was about to tell me unless I paid up. Here is another view of it with different lighting.

goldonblack_ring.JPG

It weighs 5 grams. I don't know how to convert the grams to ounces so I'm not sure what the melt value would be. Here is another pic on the scale.

ringonscale.JPG

I only managed to find 2 silver rings this year. 9 less than last year. This first one I found in about 8 inches of water with the SE PRO. I was using a kitchen strainer as a scoop which as you can guess didn't work very well. It was destroyed after half an hour. I will go back there with a real scoop this summer. There were plenty of interesting signals I couldn't get to. One big advantage of using the SE is that it works under water, something the DFX can't do. This ring is very tiny and is marked Sterling Espo and judging by the tarnish, had been there several decades.

bluestone_ring.JPG

I found one other silver ring in a school yard. It is marked 925 China as you can see in the picture.

chinaring.JPG

Next is a picture of my oldest coin find this year, but not quite my oldest of all time. I have some 1909s and 1910s. This was found in the front yard of my 100 year old house the first time I tried my SE out. Been over that same ground a few times with the DFX but it couldn't see it I guess. It was down 5 inches.

lgcenttail.JPG

Here is the other side of the coin. It was in bad shape. I used the peroxide method a few times and then soaked it in olive oil for a few months and then pried off the crust with a toothpick. I know this one isn't worth much but I am practicing cleaning coins for when I do find something valuable.

lgcenthead.JPG

Hope you enjoy this post. I certainly enjoy seeing everybody else's finds, especially in the winter. We are still months away from being able to detect up here.
I have more stuff to clean up and will post it when I get some free time. The wife's new Nikon makes it a lot easier to take pictures.

Happy hunting
Foiled Again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions