May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to my thrift store lady at the beach this weekend. When I asked about watches she said she didn't have any then proceeded to tell me a coat that had been donated last week and in the pocket was a bag containing a mens 18kt gold Piaget watch on a gold mesh bracelet. She showed me the picture. It was a beauty. It was sent over to a jeweler to sell. Always check those pockets!!

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard some stories of people finding valuables in coat pockets at thrift stores.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to my thrift store lady at the beach this weekend. When I asked about watches she said she didn't have any then proceeded to tell me a coat that had been donated last week and in the pocket was a bag containing a mens 18kt gold Piaget watch on a gold mesh bracelet. She showed me the picture. It was a beauty. It was sent over to a jeweler to sell. Always check those pockets!!

You see people spouting off all the time about how it's dishonest to pay low prices for what we know to be valuable. I wonder if the thrift store tried to find who donated it to see if it was a mistake?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see people spouting off all the time about how it's dishonest to pay low prices for what we know to be valuable. I wonder if the thrift store tried to find who donated it to see if it was a mistake?
Heck no they didn't The most I ever found in a coat pocket was a stick of black jack chewing gum (and 6 one hundred dollar bills) which I promptly handed over to the elderly lady holding the sale

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found used tissue and handkerchiefs before if that counts.... Be careful though, some people I know have gotten poked by needles! I'm extremely cautious when checking pockets. Always feel them through the outside first.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes they are trying to find the owner to be sure. I am following up with the jeweler to see if it goes for sale. By the way the best thing I ever found in a coat or jacket was a yarmulke from a Jewish wedding.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like they are checking the pockets for us. I've checked a lot of thrift store pockets and never found a thing. I've seen people find money so its possible. Something big like that they'll screen out 99% of the time.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can play this game!!!

A estate sale acquaintance of mine buys Americana (he's Japanese and sells lots of stuff back home in Japan) and also does vintage clothing. One sale we attended was just awesome all around and he was going through his stuff afterwards while i loaded mine into my truck. He proceeds to pull out a large 14k bracelet, much to our amazement.

I never forgot that and have always been mindful to check pockets at every sale. After months of searching, i finally had a sale with about 50 coats in the closet! I just knew that one contained a watch or large piece of gold jewelry so i got to checking. I had almost reached the end of rack when i finally felt something substantial in one of the pockets. I excitedly pulled out what i knew was a Rolex and promptly unwrapped the napkin only to find a stale cookie???:censored:

I still check them but don't keep my hopes up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread