HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out doing my yard sale looking last weekend in the Northern Neck of Virginia and came across this cup - they wanted $5 for it (grandma passed away it appeared and the kids were selling her stuff at least that's the vibe i got, i see it quite often) so couldn't get my money out fast enough...

This is a 18th Century cup with a frog in it, very rare piece. Here is example of two from the 19th Century Ceramics, Historic, Liverpool, Staffordshire, Pottery, 18th and 19th Century, Ad6-14 Loving Cup | Westbury Antiques they want $1,000 and $400 for the one in the links.. Had a expert look at it for me and tell me without a doubt it's 18th century and rare.. If anyone knows of anything more please let me know. So far i have values from $400 to $1,500.. I collect transfer-ware and this kind of stuff a-lot but never came across a piece like this.. Also, it may be Scottish, at least it looks like a guy wearing a kilt on the cup.

Thanks
Hut

:blob1:

Attachments

• photo_2.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 136
  • frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 137
  • frog1.jpg
    frog1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 132
  • photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Upvote 18

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET find!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter what method/equipment is used, some finds are just sweet! Nice!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Someone had a sense of humor back then to paint a frog in there! Hope it's appraised for alot of money! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Save!!! :notworthy:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really sweet find, love the art inside and out

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yeah! That thing is a beaut.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice save. had you not found it they could have thrown it away. I once was at a huge estate cleanout from a 150+ year estate. I could not believe the things the family simply was giving away. I saw about $10k 1850's worth of bottles that was given away to the boyfriend of some half-sister or the like. He thought they looked 'cool' and wanted to hang them in his garage. I tried desperately to buy them and he would not sell. I guess he felt sorry for me as he sold me one, yes one, of the yellow whiskey bottles for $100. A few years later during hard financial times I sold it on ebay for about $300. There were at least 10 other of this exact whiskey bottle. plus about another 500 1850's bottles of all shapes and sizes. they were all nondug as well. somewhere on the property they were simply stored in a forgotten location and cleaned out as junk by the modern family. I was about 15 minutes behind the boyfriend who got there first. He wasn't even a bottle collector. he just liked the look of the 'old bottles'. since I was not part of the 'friends and family' give away I offered real money for some 'left over' lots which was readily accepted. Some of the stuff was in lots so I was not even sure what I was getting but I figured it was worth the gamble. I think I paid like $300 for the lots. I later sold most of it and cleared about $1000. in one container I had not even opened there were saloon tokens, 1850's gold jewelry, an actual piece of gold, etc. I had actually seen someone open this container at a distance and they put it down. so I thought it was empty. but I liked the container and bought the 'empty' container for about $5. Somewhere in storage I still have an 1850's whiskey jug that I would value at about $150. I think it is the only reminder of this surreal experience I have left. will never forget it. I am talking about a warehouse worth of 150+ years worth of items that were basically given away. I can only image what was in some of the old packed full trunks, boxes, etc...

Last edited:

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is exactly why I look in every house clean-out dumpster I see - hehe - in fact - if I were you - Id keep an eye out on that house - if all of the sudden there is 20 bags of trash out front ...or a dumpster....well.....you get the idea......

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 bucks???!!!!!!! Holy Kamoly what a steal

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
You just Shot a arrow and you hit the bull's-eye! With my find it is Generally the opposite! Congratulations and good luck in the future!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread