Apr 25, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Garrettsville Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this ring at a pawn shop as a 14k gold ring with red stone for around $350. It is stamped on the band 800 which I have found is a 19k Portugal gold stamp. The ring weighs 10.7g

I am very good with stones and I'm certain this is a ruby. It measures 12.7mm x 9.5mm roughly. It has an inclusion in it but if you hold it to your eye you can see right through it.

Obviously the pawn shop had no idea what they had so I would say this was a treasure find! I can't find anything even close online. Please let me know if you have any idea what its worth or the best way to get it properly appraised.

Attachments

• 1482773757066.jpg
    1482773757066.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 1482773765323.jpg
    1482773765323.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 1482773776602.jpg
    1482773776602.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 128

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think I'm qualified to say anything about this ring. But if you find it is a ruby, then the expected re-sale would be well over your purchase price. You need to check out that stone.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I can't be sure that the color of the stone is correct as in the pics but if so, then I would say that it is an Almandine Garnet! While there are other Garnets with such coloring such as Pyrope, Spessartite and Pyrope Spessartite (containing the properties of both) Garnets, the most commonly used with such coloring as your' stone, is the Almandine.

I believe that the design of the Ring itself, could date from the 1980's to current and possibly even earlier.

Frank

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think the stone is a garnet, does not have a real ruby color. If garnet you paid high retail for the ring.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything bought at pawn is bought from a pro. Exception is some unknown gadget they don't know what to do with.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the other comments - if that's a natural ruby, the value is in the tens of thousands of dollars. Generally - the redder (sometimes called "blood" or "pigeon blood") the color (as opposed to the pinker hues you see in lower grade stones) the more valuable the stone. Depending on depth - I would guess that stone (if its a ruby) is somewhere around 3 carats. With that level of clarity you'd have to be talking upwards of $25,000.00. That said, I think I agree that it is more likely a garnet or spinel for two reasons - first, as others said - the color is off - it's more of muted/brownish red than the blood red you would expect from a ruby; second - the setting is very weak for such a valuable stone. I would take it to your jeweler for an assessment. If you do this regularly, you can get a decent refractometer second hand for a few hundred bucks and that will allow you to identify the chemical composition with a good degree of accuracy. That will pretty much rule out whether it's a corundum or not - the issue then though is determining whether it's a lab made corundum or a natural ruby (both have the same RI in my experience). I made this mistake with a piece about a year ago, but fortunately nothing was harmed other than my ego. Let us know if you get it verified - I'll keep my finger crossed for you. Regardless - its an awesome looking ring.

One more thing -- I agree on the pawn guys - while they do make mistakes - most of them are really good at this stuff - even if they seem "folksy" - they depend on it for a living. The most common mistake I see in pawn shops is misidentification of non-identification of important artisans/makers - I've never encountered a gemstone error.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
A genuine Ruby roughly measuring 12.7mm x 9.5mm with a depth of around 5mm would likely weigh in at 5 carats or more.

Frank

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep in mind, every one here is assuming that what they see on the computer screen is a correct and accurate interpret of the color of the stone
I don't think you can make a judgement on a stone over the internet
everyone has different settings for color on their computers
IMO
Brady

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Never buy or sell anything at a pawn shop,those guys know what their doing.Have you ever seen a pawn shop go out of business?I haven't and a lot of other types of stores and shops have gone out of business in these uncertain times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread