1900s Building - Hunt #4

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
1900's Building - Hunt #4

I was hanging around the house getting on my wife's nerves and she told me to go detecting. ;D

Can do.

Headed over to the old Building that Me and Mastereagle have been pounding lately. One place we haven't spent much time was the far backyard. It is so trashy, but has an occasional wheatie or old relic turn up, but only after you dig tons of trash. I approached an area next to some huge old cedars that looks terrific. I had run over this the other night, but as I swung my coil over a small clump of grass, I heard a nice tone. I worked my coil back and forth at several angles and isolated a decent clear tone. I dug. About 4 inches down I pulled this out:

Picture 132.jpg

I wasn't sure what it was...but knew it was a good coin. I got it a little wet to bring out the detail.

Picture 133.jpg

Still not sure. I hoped it was a seated...but really wasn't sure. I text-ed Mastereagle and told him I thought it was a seated. He said "That would be my freaking luck. I told you that you would find a good coin tonight". I think he was happy I found a decent coin. :-\

Well...long story short....it wasn't a seated. It was a 1901 V Nickel:

Picture 135.jpg

I was thrilled to just find a nice old coin. I went on hunting and dug up a key:

Picture 136.jpg

Picture 137.jpg

I also found an old button that says "Headlight" on it. Mine is in bad shape, but Mastereagle dug one exactly like it that said Patent Pending on the back. He researched it and found that it was patented in the 1930's I believe. Maybe I can clean mine and see the back better. I sure can't read it now.

Picture 138.jpg

I found this small little tray that must have been a little drawer in a cabinet or something. Here is everything I found (not including can slaw and trash). Not too bad for a couple hours detecting. It was a nice leisurely hunt. :icon_sunny:

Picture 134.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Baldingboy

Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 1900's Building - Hunt #4

Looks like a good day to me. Keep it comin.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

JuJu said:
Looks like a good day to me. Keep it comin.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu
Coin Stalker said:
Nice finds :thumbsup:
rtde3 said:
That V nickel is still a nice find Bud!
Keep at it!
steelheadwill said:
Nice Finds !

Steelheadwill, Coinstalker and Juju~ Thanks

rtde3~ Thanks. I was so hoping it might be a seated or something. I am really happy that it was a V nickle in such decent shape. Usually they are all but illegible.

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Thought you all might be interested that I was able to identify what the rectangular tray was. I noticed it had a very small inscription that said COTY. I remembered my cousin wearing COTY makeup when I was younger. (Leave it alone Mastereagle...no comments about me wearing makeup!)Found this on Google:

Picture 134.jpg

Picture 134.jpg

Attachments

• coso_3.gif
    coso_3.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 369

geodawn

Mar 24, 2007
Fort Atkinson, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bound to be more goods under that trash. Nice finds!

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cool digs,the Liberty V is still on my wish list. :icon_thumright:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gotta love those early 1900's places , you get finds from all era's.

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Ifoundit69 said:
Gotta love those early 1900's places , you get finds from all era's.

Yeah, I actually feel bad that I have been there so much. I don't want to wear out my welcome, but I believe I could work the trashy lower end of the yard and come home with a good find every outing. The buildings current owner lives there and has been a "prince" of a guy. I think I will get them a gift card or something as a way of saying thanks. They even brought me and Mastereagle a soda the other night! Nice people.

Baldingboy

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

The TRUTH is I told BB to have a good hunt and that I was sorry I couldn't go with him

I also told him he would find one good coin and 4 "keepers" I think I called it pretty close.

I love that V Nickel... still have yet to find one.

Time to find another new site to go hunt though soon, this place needs a rest. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread