1909 Surprise Find in a Modern Coin Jar

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my wife found an "old" change jar while cleaning through some boxes of various people's junk. Nothing at all exceptional, just a ton of 1980-2010 nickels, dimes, and pennies. Getting discouraged that it would just be some modern coins to take to the bank tomorrow, I opened it up and started pawing through it only to see one (and only one) wheat reverse tumble out. Assuming it to be some average 1956 Wheatie, i flipped it over. Saw the 1909. Then the S. Stared at it for a second, then immediately put it in a holder. Flipped it over after it was 'safe', saw the VDB. Trying not to get my hopes too high, last time I found a key date it ended up being fake.

Keep in mind, I wasn't the one that allowed it to get in this condition. We ended up with a bunch of other people's "stuff", and recently decided to start sorting through it. Mostly clothes and such. I didn't expect to find coins, much less any interesting ones. I don't know how long the coin sat in nasty conditions, but it was probably a while.

So, a few questions to the more experienced folks here. I'll be honest, I'm a little ways out of my depth with this one. Never in all my days expected to see one of these, much less where I found it.

Firstly, does it look to be real? What hallmarks should I be looking for to determine whether it is?
Secondly, Is there anything I can/should do about the obvious corrosion damage? I understand I'm not generally supposed to clean coins, especially potentially rare ones, but feel the need to ask anyway.
Lastly, given the clearly hard life this fellow's had, any guesses as to value? Just as a general starting point, of course I'll be doing my own research here as well. I'd assume if we can determine if it is likely real, we should probably send it in for slabbing.

S20190603_0001.jpg S20190603_0002.jpg S20190603_0003.jpg S20190603_0004.jpg

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t know much about authentication, but I do know that’s a find of a lifetime if it’s real! Congratulations!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Hope it’s the real deal. Good luck.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I'm also not sure if it is real; the way to find out is to submit it for authentication. This is a coin that will require authentication if you want to sell it. The wear does not seem consistent with the details, but who knows?

I would resist the temptation to improve its appearance by cleaning it. The scratch from above the I in liberty across the collar to the S is not going to help value if it is real.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! I'm also not sure if it is real; the way to find out is to submit it for authentication. This is a coin that will require authentication if you want to sell it. The wear does not seem consistent with the details, but who knows?

I would resist the temptation to improve its appearance by cleaning it. The scratch from above the I in liberty across the collar to the S is not going to help value if it is real.

I often see this statement and many, many times do not understand why it was stated! Maybe you are referring to the damage but I really don't see anything on the coin that would trigger me to state "The wear does not seem consistent with the details". Due to the indentations on the Obverse rim, it is likely that thr coin was mounted in a bezel for many, many years. Anyways, I don't see anything Date-wise or Mint Mark-wise that would trigger red flags. However, the scratches on the coin will definitely kill the value but even with them, it will be sought after by a Collector who needs the coin to fill a blank spot in his' or her' collection. I would recommend a quick bath in Acetone (which will not harm the coin or it's toned color) to arrest the Verdigris, rinse with distilled water, lightly bathe it in Mineral Oil, rinse with Distilled Water, then pat dry with a soft towel, then place in a 2x2 protective holder. You can send it in to PCGS or NGC and ask for a conservation of the coin and for authentication. It is unlikely that they would grade it but will mark the label on the holder "Genuine", if it is in fact genuine. They may or may not conserve the coin due to the depth of the corrosion but they will still note "Corroded and Damaged" on the label.

Good luck!

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Looks real and looks to be a digger...found with a metal detector. GRATS!

OP
OP
S

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody!

I am with you folks; After a bunch of looking at internet pictures and such last night, I'm not seeing anything that would make me go "Yup, 100% fake". So that's pretty excellent, it's at least got a good chance at being the real deal.
The large scratch across the front is definitely unfortunate. It looks fairly recent, too. Regardless, I didn't get much sleep last night courtesy of this little fella.

I'll have to contemplate giving it some minor cleaning.. I've never even tried to clean a coin before, so I'm a bit reluctant to use this as a test piece. Maybe I'll mess with a few detected/dug memorial cents first, get some practice.

Similar question, PCGS or NGC when I get it graded? I'd generally prefer the cheaper option, given my monetary situation. (although I'm sure entire essays have been written on that topic)

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often see this statement and many, many times do not understand why it was stated! Maybe you are referring to the damage but I really don't see anything on the coin that would trigger me to state "The wear does not seem consistent with the details". Due to the indentations on the Obverse rim, it is likely that eh coin was mounted in a bezel for many, many years. Anyways, I don't see anything Date-wise or Mint Mark-wise that would trigger red flags. However, the scratches on the coin will definitely kill the value but even with them, it will be sought after by a Collector who needs the coin to fill a blank spot in his' or her' collection. I would recommend a quick bath in Acetone (which will not harm the coin or it's toned color) to arrest the Verdigris, rinse with distilled water, lightly bathe it in Mineral Oil, rinse with Distilled Water, then pat dry with a soft towel, then place in a 2x2 protective holder. You can send it in to PCGS or NGC and ask for a conservation of the coin and for authentication. It is unlikely that they would grade it but will mark the label on the holder "Genuine", if it is in fact genuine. They may or may not conserve the coin due to the depth of the corrosion but they will still note "Corroded and Damaged" on the label.

Good luck!

A cast coin would show the loss of details from the original coin used in the casting process. Indentations on the original would show on the copy with no sign of wear on the newly cast coin. This is common in older cast copies and we have seen it in this forum and many others with Chinese copies of Morgan dollars. I'm not saying this is one, but it does not look 100% right from the photo to me. That is my opinion and last I knew, we were still mostly free to state our opinions, especially when we state that we are not 100% sure. And that is why such coins are submitted for authentication.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
A cast coin would show the loss of details from the original coin used in the casting process. Indentations on the original would show on the copy with no sign of wear on the newly cast coin. This is common in older cast copies and we have seen it in this forum and many others with Chinese copies of Morgan dollars. I'm not saying this is one, but it does not look 100% right from the photo to me. That is my opinion and last I knew, we were still mostly free to state our opinions, especially when we state that we are not 100% sure. And that is why such coins are submitted for authentication.

I never stated that you were not free to give your opinion and sorry you took it that way! I was just stating that I often see the statement made when there is nothing that I and many others can see to confirm the statement. The problem is with viewing pics of a coin, is that everyone sees things differently.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everybody!

I am with you folks; After a bunch of looking at internet pictures and such last night, I'm not seeing anything that would make me go "Yup, 100% fake". So that's pretty excellent, it's at least got a good chance at being the real deal.
The large scratch across the front is definitely unfortunate. It looks fairly recent, too. Regardless, I didn't get much sleep last night courtesy of this little fella.

I'll have to contemplate giving it some minor cleaning.. I've never even tried to clean a coin before, so I'm a bit reluctant to use this as a test piece. Maybe I'll mess with a few detected/dug memorial cents first, get some practice.

Similar question, PCGS or NGC when I get it graded? I'd generally prefer the cheaper option, given my monetary situation. (although I'm sure entire essays have been written on that topic)

Please do not give the coin a minor cleaning. That would be a major mistake and one that will lower the value or possible price that it might fetch. If you follow my instructions above, you should be good to go with sending it into PCGS or NGC. Just make sure that you pat dry any excess Mineral Oil before placing the coin in a protective holder, so it is not drippy because the TPG's (Third Party Grading Services) do not like that. A light coating of Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil has long been excepted as it stabilizes and protects the metal of the coin from further deterioration. Ask and pay only for Conservation if they will in fact conserve the coin and also pay for Authentication. I don't believe that they will grade the coin, so there is no need to pay for a service that they will not do concerning the coin!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Check weight, magnet test, get auth., go to a certified dealer at a show. Don't let it out of your sight. Congrats on a Great find. First time I've ever saw a major key coin reported being found in the wild.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread