1909D Barber Dime on a Night Hunt!

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
With the music from Mission Impossible playing in my head, I drove to pick up my hunting partner. You guys may have seen him on TN before..yep the infamous Homer007. He called me earlier an told me he knew a place where the city was pulling up sidewalk.. Groovy we had to go! Around 2100 hrs. we rolled into the LZ. It was windy and cold, but we wouldnt let that stop a couple of die hard treasure hunters. We fired up the machines and one of us took one side of the newly exposed earth and the other got the other sides. After a few swings I got a good solid tone and a hard 79-80 reading on my Spectrum. Ohh yea this looked like the deal..I swept it over again yep still a hard ping straight and true...I pin-pointed ..definately a coin by the pin-point and at 1.5 inches..or so said the gnome in the box. I sat down the machine an took a shallow scoop..when I flipped the soid I could see the silver in the street light. My heart skipped...(That always happens when I hit silver or gold.) There it was a very nice Barber Dime from 1909 with a D mint mark. Well the rest of the hunt was uneventful...but I guess you could say overall the trip was worth every dime!
Ill post pictures shortly...and no Homer007 did not find anything this time....
Sabertooth

Attachments

• barberdime1909DF.jpg
    barberdime1909DF.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 705
  • 1909BarberdimeDB.jpg
    1909BarberdimeDB.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 682
Upvote 0
Tell me again why you night hunt, and what do you do for lighting?

Well for me I hunted tonight for a couple of reasons. First being it was the only time I was going to have to hunt this week...gota get it when the getting is good. Second reason for this particular spot..the city is working the area durring the day..lots of heavy machines, concrete cutters, saws, hammers...you know the general builder bob and handy manny type work area on a very busy street infront of the county seat...so its better to hunt it at night(we have permission, they asked that we do it when the machines arent running) Lighting is not a problem I use a XLT Spectrum Hommer007 uses an XLT-E both have the backlight for easy eluminated target id on the HUD..as far as digging Homer007 uses a small LED head Lamp and I use a stinger flash light. But this area is well lit with a couple of street lamps ..so whatever we bring is just extra lumens....
Aside from that in the summer I hunt at night down here to get away from the confounded gnats..plus I like being known as a dedicated and sometimes unstable individual who will stop at almost nothing for that next great dig.....

HH
Sabertooth

Yes we will go back soon. I posted a picture of the dime too!
Sabertooth

Congrats! Nice Barber!

I like hunting at night when it works out too. LED headlamp and away I go.
Fewer people asking questions, and cooler in the summer heat.

Good Luck, and I hope you get back over there and find more!
Mark

sabertooth said:
Aside from that in the summer I hunt at night down here to get away from the confounded gnats..plus I like being known as a dedicated and sometimes unstable individual who will stop at almost nothing for that next great dig.....

HH
Sabertooth

Heh, The gnats are more than enough reason but adding in the unstable individual, well... enough said!! ;D

Congrats on the Barber. I found a 1909 S a few days ago myself! A very popular dime in its day or so I'm told!!

Nice dime!
Night hunting sounds fun. Only problem is where I live, its not safe at night. Last summer, I hunted a little at night at an old farmstead, but that was before I had a backlit detector, which I now have. Also, dew was getting to be a real problem. But your post is inspiring me to get out on another night hunt sometime this year. :thumbsup:

Well, in almost any area night hunting can be dangerous. I have a few tips I use to keep it safe.
1. I almost never ever night hunt alone.
2. Always wear 1 headphone on one off. This helps you listen for unsuspected visitators, as well as snakes and what not esp. if hunting in the south in the summer time.
3 Always wear gloves this is more important in night condition than in day..alot of times you definately cant see glass at night.
4. Scout the area in the day before going at night, this will let you make an appropriate tactical call if you want to hunt it at night or not. Look for drop offs old wells rubbish piles..etc.
5. Lastly if it is a populated area or an area where you may encounter others be sure to carry some personal protectiom. Besure it is within the legal limits of you local, mace, oc spray , whistle etc.....
If you just have to carry a firearm besure yopu are properly trained and have the appropriate licenses and what not to carry it.
This is just my two cents and things i think about on night hunts...

Ohh and most important have fun...

HH
Sabertooth

Nice dime. Night hunting is great, we do it all the time.
It stretches your day out.

sabertooth said:
Well, in almost any area night hunting can be dangerous. I have a few tips I use to keep it safe.
1. I almost never ever night hunt alone.
2. Always wear 1 headphone on one off. This helps you listen for unsuspected visitators, as well as snakes and what not esp. if hunting in the south in the summer time.
3 Always wear gloves this is more important in night condition than in day..alot of times you definately cant see glass at night.
4. Scout the area in the day before going at night, this will let you make an appropriate tactical call if you want to hunt it at night or not. Look for drop offs old wells rubbish piles..etc.
5. Lastly if it is a populated area or an area where you may encounter others be sure to carry some personal protectiom. Besure it is within the legal limits of you local, mace, oc spray , whistle etc.....
If you just have to carry a firearm besure yopu are properly trained and have the appropriate licenses and what not to carry it.
This is just my two cents and things i think about on night hunts...

Ohh and most important have fun...

HH
Sabertooth

6. Have a sniper in the trees with a night scope watching your back! :thumbsup:

Yea that will work too..but if you use this method remember 2 of Murphy's Laws..
1 Friendly fire.......isnt that friendly.
2 Friendly fire is as a rule more accurate than unfriendly fire.

HH
Sabertooth
PS......Gone Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back