1909vdb, 1909s, 1914d for .75 cents!!!!!!!!!!!

Coin_Surfer

Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today we had to run a lot of errands and one of them was the coin shop. We went to the coin shop because I wanted to fill some holes in my penny book. As I am waiting to look at the pennies the guy at the counter asks if I want to look in a big bin of pennies 1909-1919 each penny .25 cents. I say yes because the other guy was taking a long time looking through the penny folder. I start looking and am getting excited because I am getting some for my book that are older. After a while my dad (MentalUnrest) and my sister are helping me and I am finding 1909's, but no mint marks or vdb. My dad whispers to me "Hey, I found a 1909S!" I thought no way, but he did! A few pennies later my sister says "I found a vdb." I was hoping for a S, but none. I am looking and then..... I find it, the 1914D!!! At first I didn't believe it and looked again, and there it was. I told my dad and he thought it was a hard to see date, but nope, the date is as clear as a new penny! I would like your advice about maybe getting these graded - some of the vdb's look like they have patina on it. Also I would like your opinion if either of them were cleaned.

Some of the other pennies I got were - 1909vdb 3
1909 3
1910s 1
1911d
1912 d and s and p
1913 s
1915 d and s

I am only putting the pics of the two big ones. And to tell you also that the pennies are in better shape than they appear - the scanner got them a little blurry.

Attachments

• 1909s1.jpg
    1909s1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,719
  • 1909s22.jpg
    1909s22.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,726
  • 1914a1.jpg
    1914a1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,718
  • 1914b2.jpg
    1914b2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,716
Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stang1968 said:
Where is this coin store? I need to stop by!

Nice eyes. Obviously much better than the coin dealers.
:)

no kidding,,,,,,,,,,, nice finds

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
brendan1414 said:
How did the guy not check them as you were paying for them. i wouldve bought 100 of them just to cover up those! haha

Even though it doesn't compare to this find, I got a war nickel for a quarter because it was put in the wrong pile and the person didn't look at it closely.

OP
OP
Coin_Surfer

Coin_Surfer

Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to send these to PCGS. I would just like last opinions on if they could be real or counterfeit.
HH
Coin_Surfer

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds- I need to study up on what to look for in cents and other denominations and spend some more time with my local coin dealer. He is a fun guy to talk to and he doesn't mind me going thru his bulk bins(even his ones in the back).
N8

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't send them to PCGS, their fees are too high, considering that you plan on puting them in your collection folder. Suggest getting a current coin RED BOOK and grade them yourself. Just start with the lowest grade and work on up until they meet the qualifications. Other then that, great find to fill in those missing holes.

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HUGE! I wish we had a local coin shop that had bulk bins to look through. The one shop we have here seems to pick through everything.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Dozer D said:
Don't send them to PCGS, their fees are too high, considering that you plan on puting them in your collection folder. Suggest getting a current coin RED BOOK and grade them yourself. Just start with the lowest grade and work on up until they meet the qualifications. Other then that, great find to fill in those missing holes.

You need to autenticate them first. My friend's relative in Florida got a silver eagle for him because the relative knew he collected coins. He showed it to me and it looked like a worn down clad and made a noise of clad. He said it was from a coin shop.

Moral: You can't always trust coin shops.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wow I want to find a shop like this ....I need some older dates for my book :tard: great finds man. you did outstanding! :icon_thumright:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Now I would just go ahead and complete the set. Do you want to sell? What a profit you made. Congrats.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
Coin_Surfer

Coin_Surfer

Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent them to PCGS a few weeks ago. I should get them soon! I looked at the 1914D, and no VDB on the shoulder! I can't wait to get them back.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread