1910 Boy Scout Good Luck charm with Swastika ???

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Found this at about 3 inches at a residential traffic circle, it is a little bigger than a US half dollar and is dated July 1910. Am I correct in understanding that the swastika was the Boy Scout Symbol prior to WW II ?? Does anyone have any information as to what this is and it's value?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1910 Boy Scout Token reverse.jpg
    1910 Boy Scout Token reverse.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 3,607
  • 1910 Boy Scout Token obverse.jpg
    1910 Boy Scout Token obverse.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 4,165
Upvote 8

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Possum, I found a similar token earlier this year also! Mine is about in the same shape as yours, but doesn't have a date. I found it at an old parsonage that was torn down. Daydream! Almost passed out laghing!! I believe Ivan Salis said to think of it before Hitler to understand it, I agree!! Very similar to the Confederate flag, the swastika has been vilified by how it was used in recent years. Just my opinion! Great find!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

auroranorth

Aug 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swastika tokens

nazicoinfairB.jpg
Found one similar to that earlier this year. The swastika symbol was on the back but it was from a doll company. Strange...cool find though.. :) jgas

Yes there were many of these manufactured in the US the one you have was the same size as the boy scout one,
There were also Cosgrove cars in Brass exact same size with swastika back identical to boy scout back.
The was Bartels bonded oils many many others all in copper or brass and all using the same size and the same backing
suspect that they were made by same mfr.
as far as tokens with a swastika the oldest I found was a masonic lodge from 1856, it was silver about penny size
I ran into many with good luck symbols on the back, the most common was a carnival coin you could win with a swami and a crystal ball with swastika inside and reverse swastika and wishbone on the other side, legends say a good magician could make this coin appear at your home
the symbol was in common usage with native Americans
the nazicoinmotherA.jpg Soumi cross similar to the swastika was a national symbol of Finland and still is on the Finnish Presidential flag
the polish government used the swastika on medals and as a symbol in the fighting against Marxists in the 1919 combat.
The People of the Ukraine fighting against marxist forces Used the swastika as a rallying point and symbol in the 1920's
the 45th infantry division used a red diamond with gold swastika right up to WW2
The USMC expeditionary forces used a Red 3in round patch with black lettering born to raise hell and White swastika.
The Original pledge of allegiance was supposed to be recited with the right arm salute, something Henry Ford taught Adolf Hitler who immediately made a German Pledge, an SA pledge and an SS pledge,when he struck down the SA leadership the military allowed him to add the swastika to the Military Uniforms.
The use of the SS symbols was co opted by American snipers in Vietnam along with German terminology
I have a special forces patch in my collection that clearly has a totenkopf ss type skull on the Special forces shield
the tokens like the boy scout design vary probably the most sought after if the mothers day coin with swastika and the 1933 Chicago worlds fair with swastika.
as a footnote German coins in zinc with a hole in the center are the rarest of the rare , the were almost exclusively used as prison camp currency
The swastika is the current symbol of the outlawed falun gong religion in Red China it is also on several modern sub national flags, and an india Indian religious symbol

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody help me understand how a post originally posted in 2008 and last replied to in 2008 , gets responded to
in 2014 (today ) 6 years later ! Anybody ?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh its easy Arg, you can do it too! Try it just for the hell of it. I will too. But dont try to understand it, that would be just wrong. It is what it is.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this thread is old but I found a very similar coin recently. It has the same symbols on the reverse but the obverse has a "Walking, talking Madame Hendren" doll on it.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool old token

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The swastika (svastika) is still used by Buddhist. It means all is well. In some other religions (Janism, Hinduism) it means "Purity". They are also found in the mosaics of Byzantine temples in Israel. The oldest one that has been found was over 12,000 years old. It has a long history and has been found in China, Japan, Africa and many other places.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found one today, but didn't know the backmark was a swasticka because mine had severe corrosion on the backside.Thanks for the great photo.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like everyone else gave you the answer, so I'll just say nice find. They are somewhat common, as evidence by the ones I see posted on the forum. I have found 1 myself, and my hunting partner has 2. They are a nice medallion with a good old date on them, and that's what makes them a nice find to me. Congrats.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native Americans used the symbol as well. I've seen swastikas on ponies and wigwams in old history book pics.

That's a great token--about the oldest Boy Scout item I've ever seen.

Particularly among the Southwest tribes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions