1911 Mexican Centavos coin find

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Got out to a few Phoenix lots before our club meeting on Monday. Was driving around downtown Phoenix and saw an old house being renovated and some the A/C workers were there so I asked if I could detect and they said sure. Found a marble, some clad and 3 wheats in about 25 minutes of detecting. By that time one of my friends shows up so I left as I didn't want to invite more folks to a place I just got permission to hunt on. I really would have like to stay longer as I was getting good targets without a lot of the junk I get in the open lots. Oh well, at least I got 3 wheats in a short period of time.
So we drove around to find a lot I found on Google Earth. It was fenced in, but on the corner of the street there was a house all boarded up and there were not any 'No Trespassing' signs anywhere. So we decided to detect there. Within 3 minutes I see this dark disk on the ground. Couldn't figure out what it was. Thought maybe it was some kids play token so I stuck it in my pouch to look at later. Found a lot of clad in the midst of a TON of junk which was driving the MXT and thus me crazy. Found a wheat, a Phoenix transit student token, marble, and 2 keys. On another lot I found the 'National Distillers' bottle cap which dates back to Prohibition.
The wheats are a 1936 D, 1958 D, 1944 and one of them the back is clean as a whistle but the obverse is so corroded I can't get a date even after tumbling it for 2 days.
After I got to the meeting, I took the dark disk I found into the bathroom and ran some water and soap over it. Saw the ' 911' and new it was a coin, but couldn't figure out what it was without a loupe. Some folks looked it over and told me it was a Mexican Centavos coin, 1911. Thought that was a pretty neat find.

Attachments

• Dec 17.jpg
    Dec 17.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 373
  • 1911 Centavos.jpg
    1911 Centavos.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 1911 Centavos rev.jpg
    1911 Centavos rev.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 336
  • Phx transit student token.jpg
    Phx transit student token.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 338
  • Phx transit token rev.jpg
    Phx transit token rev.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 0

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
It sounds like you had a wonderful day.
HH,
Joe

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Nice finds.
I was raised in Paradise Valley, long before paved roads.
I'll bet the place has changed quite a bit.
Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread