1912 V nickel

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
found a v the other day, its not a s mint, and i would like to clean it a little to make it more legible. im not worried about killing the value cause its somewhat corroded, and i dont want to remove all the patina. i had a 1919 buff i used olive oil awhile back, it did ok, gave a red tint to it. any ideas on cleaning this???

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
i killed some coins trying that, i over did it, on some romans too, the look like swiss cheese...... thanks tho

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try baby oil.
Generally i find that no matter what i do to clean old v nickles the get that red color to them.Buffalos are not as bad as v nickles when it comes to cleaning.

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cleaning your keepers.

If you love the beauty of coins, it doesn't matter whether you are a coin collector or just an coin shooting m.d. 'er- you will want a natural looking, clean coin not a stripped, scoured or scratched one. Remember this: in time distilled water will break down the gunk that is surrounding your V-nickel. Just let it soak and once in a while brush the surface with a soft toothbrush or paintbrush to loosen the dirt from inside the crevices. If you like add a little detergent to make the water a little more slippery. Keep the water clean by changing it every once in a while. If you don't believe it is working just take a photo of front and back when you start and then take another a week later. It is slow but then again your coin was in the ground for about fifty years so what's a week or two more? You can always try tumbling with gravel, chemical peels, acids etc later but first let the world's best solvent work its way through the grime. A gallon of distilled water is like a buck fifty at the grocery store. Shows us your before and afters!

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
i guess ill try that, after all i have been soaking some romans in oil for about 6 months now, so me and water will have patience.......i really would like it to clean without the red, so no oil, thanks tho.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the V nickels I've found have that "reddish" color to them also.

When I explained this to a friend, he recommenced that I soak them in
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce for 8 to 12-hours. . . it worked!

Here's a before & after pic of one of the ones I did.

L&P.jpg

Hope this helps,
watercolor

Attachments

• L&P.jpg
    L&P.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 422
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
hey, thats cool, actually im gonna do that, then maybe soak in the distilled, very cool, thanks

S

stefen

watercolor said:
All the V nickels I've found have that "reddish" color to them also.

When I explained this to a friend, he recommenced that I soak them in
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce for 8 to 12-hours. . . it worked!

Here's a before & after pic of one of the ones I did.

Hope this helps,
watercolor
[/quot

Probably the vinegar content...next time try plain white vinegar instead...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions